Author Topic: Possible cheese mold  (Read 1948 times)

ksk2175

Possible cheese mold
« on: February 06, 2016, 10:29:42 PM »
Saw this today at the store and thought how I could use it. 

Holes are a bit big so don't know about using it for making Cams but maybe a pressed cheese using cheesecloth.

Thought?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Possible cheese mold
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 12:33:10 AM »
Interesting thought but I think there may be a problem. I suspect that if you press cheeses in these, even with a cloth, they will tend to bulge out through the holes and then you will have trouble getting them out.
They might work for Camembert with a cloth. I make all of my Cams in moulds with closed bottoms.
- Andrew

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 02:23:33 AM »
Should work for cams.

Kern

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:29:04 AM »
I'm curious.  What were they intended for prior to your re-purposing them?  What are their sizes and are they tapered.  Hard to tell from the photo.

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »
I used similar, it is actually a kitchen utensil holder, I bought from ikea. I used them for camemberts without cheese cloth, which was a mistake. The curds were free flowing through the big holes, it took me a while to form the cams because it would just flow out. I suggest predrain if you want to use this for cams or use cheese cloth.
Then when I managed to ladle all my curds, flipping them was quite difficult for me because the cheese would snag to the holes as they are (besides rather large) also a little sharp. It also took sometime to drain in these for some reason.

But I think using it for pressed cheese will probably work better and it will leave nice polkadot marks.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 05:28:36 PM »
If you used butter muslin you could probably do a Stilton in them pretty successfully.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

wattlebloke

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2016, 09:00:03 PM »
I've looked at these too, and decided against, because I figured the rolled edge at the top will likely make it hard to get the cheese out of the mold once its firmed up

john H

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 12:05:39 AM »
I've looked at these too, and decided against, because I figured the rolled edge at the top will likely make it hard to get the cheese out of the mold once its firmed up

That is what I was thinking as well. If there is a roll at the top if it is inside making the mould smaller then you won't get the cheese out, if the roll is on the out side then it should be ok.