Author Topic: So I didn't really make crottins this time  (Read 2263 times)

mattip

So I didn't really make crottins this time
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:43:42 PM »
I tried to make crottin. It didn't really work out as expected. But I would be greatful if you can give me some pointers and tell me if I am on the right track? I have only made mozzarella and yoghurt/kefir cheeses and butter before, so don't really know what to expect.

1. Used one gallon of unhomogenized goats milk from the store. Probably not as fresh as optimal.
2. Heated to 32 degrees celcius/89 Fahrenheit.
3. Mixed in a couple of tbs kefir and a small amount of vegetable rennet.
4. Let it sit at room temperature for two days. The curd had coagulated, after a couple of hours, shrank a bit and sank with some whey on top.
5. Put in a small piece of rind from an old crottin I had in the refrigerator to get some mold spores.

Now the problems begin.

6. I tried to scoop over my curd into some home made cheese molds, made from plastic honey jars which I had poked holes through the sides and bottom. The curd was too loose and the whey did drain from the holes really really slow...
7. ... so after a day I decided to put the curd in some cheese cloth to drain it.
8. Back to the molds for a day.
9. Tried to dump the cheese out of the molds. Cheese still too soft...
10... so I formed the cheese with my hands and salted, put on a sushi mat, turned after some time and salted again.

I have no idea if the cheeses will hold together or if they are just too soft.

So next weekend if I try again should I:
- Use more rennet?
- Drain in a cheese cloth from start after two days?
- Maybe drain it more?
- Skip the molds or drill larger holes?

I'd be happy for any suggestions.

And oh, the cheese tastes great as is, btw.

/matti

SOSEATTLE

Re: So I didn't really make crottins this time
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:09:11 AM »
I would suggest draining the curd once it has coagulated and sunk to the bottom. Usually you will see whey and possibly some cream floating on top. The texture should be like firm yogurt. When I do mine I drain within 24 hours usually. If you let the curd sit too long it will get soft again. I found that out when I first started making this type of cheese.

Susan

mattip

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:15:21 AM »
Ah, interesting. Thank you. Will it affect the souring of the curd? I really like the taste of the cheese now. Not that I have eaten such a fresh goat cheese before, but I can imagine what will develop in a couple of weeks. I mean, if I drain earlier, will the higher levels of lactose that is left continue to get worked by the bacteria after draining?

BTW, just checked the cheese this morning. It seems like it is finally drying up enough to hold together on the sushi mat! So I hope that I will be able to get this to work better next weekend.

/Matti

olikli

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 05:53:43 PM »
Lactic curds release water only reluctantly but this also means that there is no real risk of your cheeses not holding together. You just need to give them enough time to drain and dry. The longer the coagulation phase, the more intensive the taste should be, as lond as acidity does not rise too high. I also work with kefir and have had coagulation times up to 4 days. I think you'll be fine.

Kern

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 06:50:04 PM »
Mattip, they look good enough for me to award you with your first cheese (thumbs up).  :D

mattip

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:16:12 PM »
Yes! They finally dry out at the surface! I wonder if I will see any mold and what kind. Anyway, I will try to make this cheese some more times now, to get the hang of it before moving on to other cheeses.

/matti