Author Topic: Manchego/Hispanico rind preference  (Read 2709 times)

Mermaid

Manchego/Hispanico rind preference
« on: February 09, 2016, 05:28:47 PM »
Hello
Just made a batch of manchego with raw whole jersey cow milk two weeks ago. Today it has some mold growth and I was wondering what kind of rind people prefer on this type of cheese. Seems oiled rinds are common, but has anyone tried other styles of affinage for manchego?

Thanks!

Stinky

Re: Manchego/Hispanico rind preference
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 06:38:05 PM »
Hello
Just made a batch of manchego with raw whole jersey cow milk two weeks ago. Today it has some mold growth and I was wondering what kind of rind people prefer on this type of cheese. Seems oiled rinds are common, but has anyone tried other styles of affinage for manchego?

Thanks!

Anything'd work, of course. Oiled rinds are, iirc, traditional for manchego. If you'd rather do a natural rind, do a natural rind.

My only hispanico got oiled with paprika.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 04:01:05 AM »
I usually just do a dry brushing to keep the growth down.
Susan

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 05:05:26 AM »
I oiled mine and it didn't have any invaders.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 06:03:24 PM »
I'm going to coat mine with the paprika and olive oil but first I have been misting it with cognac.  Keeps the molds away. ???
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Mermaid

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 09:51:26 PM »
Is there an oil preference among you? I have tried olive oil before, but it was pretty expensive and kind of funky tasting.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 04:34:27 AM »
I'm going to coat mine with the paprika and olive oil but first I have been misting it with cognac.  Keeps the molds away. ???
Ah, now I am convinced you've got a barrel of cognac out back.  ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 03:38:45 PM »
LOL  No Boofer but I did have a bottle of this sitting idly by so I sacrificed a half cup to mist this thing.  Heck, I've already got near $100.00 in a three pound cheese with the saffron and goats milk.  Why get cheap now? LOL  Coating this thing after the cognac dried the outer rind, smelled glorious BTW.  It now feels dry to the touch but you still get oil on you if you handle it.  Hoping this sinks in or dries out.

Kern

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 07:14:17 PM »
I've already got near $100.00 in a three pound cheese with the saffron and goats milk.  [Not to mention the cognac and olive oil!]

I love it when a man will fall on his sword and sacrifice his retirement plan for a three pound cheese!   ;D  This probably won't have any currency beyond this Forum but have a cheese on me for the beautiful cheese you have created.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 09:48:54 PM »
Thank you Kern!  Always willing to take one for the team! I went over to my raw milk supplier this morning, Karen at Blackjack Valley Farms, to get milk for a Belper Knolle I'm going to do tonight only to be told that if I bring a container the will sell me the milk at a reduced rate for cheese making and that her friend that has goats will do the same.  Good news is I now have a cheap supplier of raw milk, bad news is I already bought the expensive stuff.  I get the cognac on base, on sale also, so it's really not that expensive either.  The saffron is another story. LOL  BTW the "Project Manager" at Blackjack is a real sweetheart!  Don't let his bark fool you, he loves a good pet on the head!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 09:58:35 PM by Al Lewis »

Stinky

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:45:37 AM »
Is there an oil preference among you? I have tried olive oil before, but it was pretty expensive and kind of funky tasting.

It should not be very expensive at all. See, you don't really use very much. The first time the most, and that's only maybe a tsp. Just put on barely enough that you can smear it and massage it over, but there shouldn't be any liquid oil on the surface. Repeat if you want every few weeks, and over time you'll use less oil, eventually barely at all, because it won't really absorb much more. That said, it keeps back mold, smells nice, and gives more cheese-handling time.