Author Topic: Abandoned stinky turns Livarot-ish  (Read 1688 times)

olikli

Abandoned stinky turns Livarot-ish
« on: February 10, 2016, 01:07:25 PM »
Here is an interesting semi-experimental cheese I just cut. Straightforward rennet curds inoculated with kefir at 34 degrees for an hour, rennet set for another hour, cut to 2 cm cubes, cooked for 30 minutes at 34 degrees.

It was supposed to become a stinky but despite of washing every other day the cheese decided to grow a geotrichum rind, so I stopped washing it and waited what happened. After about 7 weeks I decided cut it today because the rind was beginning to become dry and the smell became rather strong.

The taste is medium to strong and reminds me of Livarot which also has a combination of geo and b. linens. Only the curds in the centre didn't knit together very well for some reason.

Thats the tricky but also interesting thing when working with kefir. Results always a little unpredictable, but I like that.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: Abandoned stinky turns Livarot-ish
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:58:37 AM »
Congratulations on a successful experiment. It certainly looks like the B Linens has shown up, judging by the colour.
A cheese for you.
- Andrew

Kern

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 03:00:42 AM »
Indeed a nice looking cheese so it deserves one from me.   :D  How does it compare to the taste of a Reblochon, if you know?

olikli

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
Indeed a nice looking cheese so it deserves one from me.   :D  How does it compare to the taste of a Reblochon, if you know?

The taste is rather different, the texture is closer to camembert too. This was not pressed as you do it with Reblochon, and I started washing right away and put it in the cold fridge after the initial short air drying phase following salting. It probably also depends on the type of lactic bacteria present. I think Livarot really is the closet relative.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 04:15:28 PM »
It certainly got the b. linens.  Looks amazing and very tasty!!  :P AC4U!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos