Author Topic: Penicillum candidum Cheeses Sticking To Mats  (Read 4677 times)

senorqueso

Penicillum candidum Cheeses Sticking To Mats
« on: May 24, 2009, 12:49:01 PM »
Hello all,

I have attempted to make Camembert several times now, with little success.  I am able to successfully grow the white mold in the first 10-14 days of aging (45 degrees Fahrenheit @ 95% RH).  My problem is more of a mechanical one - at this point I attempt to remove the cheese from the mats and wrap them in cheese wrap for the final aging.  I use bamboo mats and am not able to remove the cheeses without completely destroying the rind on the bottom of the cheese as it sticks to the mats.

Do you folks have any recommendations?  Should I be turning my cheeses more often?  Should I look into plastic mats instead of bamboo?  Any recommendations for folks who have been there would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers,

-Bryan

Offline finewino

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
Re: Penicillum candidum Cheeses Sticking To Mats
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 05:01:06 AM »
You should be turning the cheeses daily.  This will result in a more uniform mold growth, and will not give the mold time to grow around the grid of the mat.
Faced with the choice between changing one's mind and proving there is no need to do so, almost everyone gets busy on the proof.  -John Kenneth Galbraith

Zara

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 05:14:11 PM »
Personally I don't trust bamboo - too hard to get completely sterile and I am too lazy to try.

I use plastic matting that you get at Home Depot in the lighting section (for flourescents). It can be sanitized in the dishwasher and is sturdy and keeps the moisture away from furry baby camis. Large gaps for good air circulation.

I also turn daily until wrapped.

Also, I always thought that camembert needs a drier environment. Mine I store in plastic shoeboxes in a frig at 46-48F, lid slightly off with a paper towel draped on the end to draw moisture out. Any moisture collected on the bottom I toss out daily.

I have rarely lost one since I started doing this. Now my first few attempts...some of those were ammoniac adventures in contaminationland.

senorqueso

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:54:16 AM »
Cyn, FineWino:

Thanks for the tip on the plastic matting from Home Depot!  I will definitely be getting some and trying that.

In terms of the aging environment, I was told to keep it in a very humid environment, but if you've had better luck in a slightly drier environment, I will try that as well.

On a related note, when the rind did stick prior to wrapping, it broke off the cheese (so that one of the sides had some holes in the rind).  Is the cheese damaged beyond repair at that point, even if I wrap it?  This happened with both batches I have attempted to make, and the result after aging was the 'slip skin' where the rind was nicely developed, but there was a very thin white liquid between the rind and the rest of the cheese.  The cheese itself did not resemble the paste of a good Camembert either, remaining relatively firm.  Is that most likely due to the rind being compromised when it stuck to the mat or is this the sign of another/different problem?

Cheers,

-Bryan

JsTx

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »
Has anyone had success using bamboo from start to finish? I ran into the same problem recently. Once mould covered the top of the camembert I flipped it and tore whatever growth had started on the bottom. I cleaned the mat and flipped the cheese exposing the bottom side up. 2 days later I attempted to flip the cheese and again tore the bottoms off. Complete failure. If I used bamboo should the cheese be flipped 2 times a day? Should I just find plastic mats?

Waitawa Farm Cheesemaking

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 08:50:43 AM »
I use a combination of sushi mats and a microwave bacon cooker plate, the bacon cooker plate is my favourite, easy to clean, and the grids on it draw moisture away.
I decided long ago NOT to turn by bries, the mold will develop anyway in my limited experience. I simply move my cheese to another mat or a fresh microwave bacon cooker plate. I think I have been really lucky since I started making bries I have only had one big flop, when I tried to make a double cream brie and it collapsed.

Alex

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 09:36:43 AM »
For Camemberts I use a plstic coated wire mash, about 1 cm (3/8") squares. Flip the cheese every day.

senorqueso

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 02:32:57 PM »
Alex,

That mesh looks great.  Where did you get it?

Alex

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 05:06:07 PM »
Hardware store

Look on my profile, I guess it will be too far from you ;)

senorqueso

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2009, 06:43:38 PM »
   LOL - Although I would love to visit Haifa, it is a little far for me to travel for such an item :)

Tea

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »
In regards to the bamboo mats, someone here was saying to soak them in a saturated brine solution, then to rub with salt before using.  Haven't got to try this yet, but it sure is worth a go.

Alex, I love those little racks, they are just perfect.

Baby Chee

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 01:52:17 PM »
I'm doing Camembert again right at this moment.

I've switched to knitting grids this time.  They are at Michael's or any knitting store.  Instead of paying $3 or MORE from cheese suppliers, they cost $.69 at Michaels in a variety of square sizes.  And they are bigger as well, I believe.  Just gonna dunk them in StarSan for a few minutes and away I go.

My Camembert "disaster" seems to be working very well, but the bamboo mat was ripping off the mold every time I turned.  It's on tin foil at the moment waiting for the back side to heal up... it's been 3 weeks since I made it, and both sides had great mold at one point.

On the plus side, it does smell incredibly edible already.

senorqueso

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 02:08:55 PM »
Baby Chee,

Was just going to report to this thread that I bought some 'clear plastic canvas' from Walmart, per some suggestions I found elsewhere.  This stuff was cheap and looks perfect - I'm glad to hear it has worked out well for you!  I'm excited to try it out :), will post to this thread with my experience.

Thanks all!

Baby Chee

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:15:56 PM »
Yeah, they worked well for some past cheeses.  perfect.

The Michael's ones come in round, too, which are great for the forms.  I have a couple 9" rounds I'll use in making some large cheese in the future.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 02:23:29 PM »
WHERE in Wal-Mart did you find the "clear plastic canvas" ?