Author Topic: How to carry on with my Époisses  (Read 3387 times)

olikli

How to carry on with my Époisses
« on: February 13, 2016, 04:58:18 PM »
I've been ripening an Époisses for about 4 weeks in my fridge at 8.5 C. Semi-lactic curd with kefir, all very straightforward except that I washed with increasing amounts of Scotch whisky instead of Marc de Bourgogne. After the final washing on Monday the rind has become very soft already (you can see it from the indentation of my finger on the right) with a rather moist top surface. So I decided to place it inside cheese paper today.

I still have the impression that the interior isn't quite done yet, so I a wondering how to proceed. Should I just leave it in the box (lightly covered) or should I open the lid to get the surface a bit drier? I could also transfer it to my regular fridge which is a bit colder to slow down things.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: How to carry on with my Époisses
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 05:24:44 PM »
The surface should be fairly dry.  I just misted mine with cognac once a day.  Nothing severe.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:07 PM »
transfer to cooler fridge, this'll slow down the ripening and give the middle time.

olikli

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
Thank you guys. I'll put it in the cold fridge and leave the lid off to begin with so the surface has a chance to dry.

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2016, 08:39:36 PM »
Be very careful and check a lot, cheeses have a way of cracking when you don't expect them to.

olikli

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »
I decided to cut the cheese today because the edges started to get quite runny. The centre still has a bit to go, but it will continue to improve over the next days.

This was the result of a 3 litre batch of pasteurized creamline milk with a 3 day semi-lactic set. Curds were not cut but simply ladled into a reblochon mold for draining. Then dry salted to 2% and placed in the fridge after drying in the kitchen for a day. Following the process of original Époisses I washed twice a week for 4 weeks. The first week I used a simple brine, and then every week a splash of Scotch whisky was added to the brine. I used Bruichladdich "Laddie Ten" 10 year old single malt because its briny fruitiness would make a nice replacement for Marc de Bourgogne. 

It should be noted that I did not add any b. linens, neither from a culture nor harvested from another cheese. Originally I actually forgot it but then I just went on. I watched a few videos about époisses production and the cheeses are always washed with bare hands, so I did this as well. Apparently this was enough to establish a decent b. linens cover, but the cheese is not quite as dark as commercial époisses.

Taste-wise this is pretty much spot on, and I am very happy with it. It is the finest of the few cheeses I have made so far, and I think it would not pale on the cheese board of a decent French restaurant.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 02:14:48 PM »
Apart from the rind it's an excellent result.  Although my rind was a lot firmer it was very sticky to the touch when I cut it.  I think the addition of b. linens in the initial mix might have given you a firmer rind, it would establish sooner and be thicker, but there is no real way to say for sure.  AC4U for your excellent Époisses!

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »
The paste looks really good, it sounds like you have a winner. A cheese for you.
I'm wondering about the smell, is it very stinky? I am making a wash rind bloomy cheese now but I am a little scared of them being too stinky.

Inspired by your rublebert, I made 1 batch with kefir as a starter too.

Stinky

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 03:15:47 PM »
Congratulations!  ;D

+C

olikli

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2016, 03:30:06 PM »
The paste looks really good, it sounds like you have a winner. A cheese for you.
I'm wondering about the smell, is it very stinky? I am making a wash rind bloomy cheese now but I am a little scared of them being too stinky.

This one is not very stinky (yet) because it is not very mature. It will become stinkier if you give it two more weeks.

olikli

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »
Apart from the rind it's an excellent result.  Although my rind was a lot firmer it was very sticky to the touch when I cut it.  I think the addition of b. linens in the initial mix might have given you a firmer rind, it would establish sooner and be thicker, but there is no real way to say for sure.  AC4U for your excellent Époisses!

It might be a geometry thing. For an epoisses this is a bit flat, so it ripened fairly quickly. But at the time I made it I only had the reblochon mould that could hold the curds. In the mean time I have bought a mould that is a bit narrower but higher which might result in a better rind.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2016, 05:29:36 PM »
I used the same open ended mold for mine I use for my baby bries.  About 5.25" in diameter and the same height. Here is the link to my make with pictures of the molds and the progression of the cheeses. 

olikli

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2016, 06:37:32 PM »
Judging from the pictures your cheeses were about 20% to 25% higher than mine in relation to the diameter.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2016, 07:25:36 PM »
I may have kept mine in the molds longer also.  They don't collapse much when I remove the mold.

andreark

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2016, 01:24:59 AM »
Looks beautiful.  Could you post your recipe and times for aging etc.?

Thanks, 

andreark