Author Topic: The Effect of Enzymes on Cave Storage Time  (Read 1680 times)

Frodage3

The Effect of Enzymes on Cave Storage Time
« on: February 13, 2016, 06:46:23 PM »
In a book called, "Salt, Sugar, Fat" by Michael Moss, in the section on fat, there is a line referring to industrial cheese manufacturers. Apparently, they add "enzymes" to reduce the storage time of cheeses from 18 months to just a few days. Has anyone on this site ever heard of enzyme(s) doing this? Is this the writer's hyperbole or a trade-secret of the big cheese makers?

I've been storing my gorgonzolas for three months by default, but wouldn't it be nice if I only had to store them a week before they are ready. Thoughts?

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
Re: The Effect of Enzymes on Cave Storage Time
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 08:48:11 PM »
This is only a Philosophical comment - But good Cheese takes Time :).  There maybe some basic in fact as I've mostly found that Industrial cheeses still have that bitterness to them. This is because the bitter peptides are the first in the chain for creating the better ones after this stage. This takes time...

Just my opinion..

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

Stinky

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 09:46:24 PM »
Yes, there are cultures that can speed this up that large-scale operations use.

Stinky

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 09:46:52 PM »

Frodage3

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 05:46:18 AM »
That was an eye-opening read. And Mal - I have the same philosophy: good things take time! My latest blue is six weeks old and I'm like an expectant father...

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 11:10:30 PM »
Oh don't we know that all too well.. -you're half way - would love to see the results. :)
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !