Author Topic: Tim's Colby Cheese Making Records  (Read 3649 times)

timnbama

Tim's Colby Cheese Making Records
« on: May 24, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
It's now soaking in a saturated brine solution. I made this cheese with 3 gallons of 2% milk and 4 8-oz. cartons of whipping cream with a meso starter and calcium chloride with no color added. 3/4 rennet tablet. I wish that I made pictures of the curd when I cut it as it was very firm and turned out a good yield. I let the milk sit for an hour after adding the starter then added the rennet. In an hour it was ready to cut. Then I let it rest for 10 mins. then starting the raising the temp to 100F which took a little over an hour from 86 deg. The temp was raised by heating the pot in a sink of 100 deg. water and alternating with heating a few cups of whey in a pot to 120F and slowly adding it back to the curds. After holding 100 for another 30 mins. I drained the whey off gradually as I stirred in cold water and cooled the curds down to 82F. Then the curds were salted with 1-1/2 oz salt then packed into the hoop that I made the other day. When I take the cheese out of the brine I'll get a picture of it posted.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 07:30:49 PM by timnbama »

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Tim's Colby Cheese Making Records
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:43:42 AM »
Looks good. Let us know how it tastes.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 07:20:14 AM »
That a nice looking cheese there Timnbama!

zenith1

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:25:48 AM »
Now  that's a Colby!!!! :D

chilipepper

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 03:54:29 PM »
That is a beautiful looking cheese.  It will be fun to watch how that one ages!

Frumunda

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
That's a nice hunk of cheese!I gotta get started on my new cheese mold! ;D

timnbama

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 11:19:56 PM »
Maybe that'll make a slice or two on a sandwich. It has a different smell today compared to yesterday which was more like a lactic acid smell to me yesterday. Plus the surface is starting to dry off now so maybe in a day or 2 it'll be ready to go to aging. I hope to make another one soon but I've got to get all of my worm beds tended to first. Tomorrow is watering day for all of them after I deliver a few cups to a store.

Sedona

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 12:48:20 AM »
It's now soaking in a saturated brine solution. I made this cheese with 3 gallons of 2% milk and 4 8-oz. cartons of whipping cream with a meso starter and calcium chloride with no color added. 3/4 rennet tablet. I wish that I made pictures of the curd when I cut it as it was very firm and turned out a good yield. I let the milk sit for an hour after adding the starter then added the rennet. In an hour it was ready to cut. Then I let it rest for 10 mins. then starting the raising the temp to 100F which took a little over an hour from 86 deg. The temp was raised by heating the pot in a sink of 100 deg. water and alternating with heating a few cups of whey in a pot to 120F and slowly adding it back to the curds. After holding 100 for another 30 mins. I drained the whey off gradually as I stirred in cold water and cooled the curds down to 82F. Then the curds were salted with 1-1/2 oz salt then packed into the hoop that I made the other day. When I take the cheese out of the brine I'll get a picture of it posted.

Sedona

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »
Wow that is a nice looking Colby. Sooner or later my looks like that, hahah
Sedona