Author Topic: The Second Cheddar for 2016  (Read 4744 times)

lauravanb

Re: The Second Cheddar for 2016
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2016, 09:08:51 AM »
Hey Mal,

I'm getting ready to reattempt a cheddar. You seem quite accomplished, so a few questions for you if you don't mind!

Have you experimented with cultures and if so do you have a favorite one or combination?

I believe during my last make my curds "shattered." Basically when I stirred they just fell apart and broke up into tiny pieces (it felt like i was stirring the curd when it was way too soft). I have seen some reference to shattering and I'm wondering if this is what they mean. Anyway your curds look great. Do you stir the whole time? or once every so often?

Is there a master recipe you use? I'm not great at reading make sheets!!

What is your affinage regimen? Do you bandage?

And finally (sorry for so many questions), are your pressing weights the weight after factoring mechanical advantage? Or do you know how many psi you shoot for? I'll be using a 6.5 inch mold for a 4 gallon make (or 5ish inches for 2 gallons).

Thanks!
Laura

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2016, 11:55:07 PM »
Well with my Big Easy cut and wrapped and the cave sanitized I'm ready to try one of these.  I better get it right because I plan on waxing it and aging it out quite a while.  When I can find time of course.  Took on another time consuming role recently that has most of my weekends tied up.  Retiring next year so maybe I'll have time for all of the things I like to do then. 8)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

max1

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2016, 02:58:30 PM »
Hey Mal,

I was just wondering... I've made cheddar before (worked for a month at Montgomery's cheddar in Somerset, UK) but only once at home. I was wondering if you did anything special to maintain the curd temp during cheddaring. When making large batches at Montgomery's the temp stayed pretty stable just because of the large mass of curds, but that isn't so with a small scale home batch.

Thanks.

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »
Sorry for not replying for so so long.. I've been seduced by the dark side and be doing Low and Slow Barbecue.  I've now retained balance in the force (food Force that us).  Like Arnie "I'm Back"...

@ Max.
Yes, I still the two pot system and keep the outer pot water warm.  I have a thermometer in the Cheese curd and the water.  I find that I can keep the curds at a good temp for the entire process.

@Al,  Mate, I'm so hearing ya!  I have also had to step up for my company to pick up the slack caused by people either not doing their job or just up and leaving.

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !