Author Topic: Valencay Help for a rookie  (Read 1714 times)

cpritzl

Valencay Help for a rookie
« on: February 19, 2016, 03:47:48 AM »
Hello all.

3 1/2 weeks ago I started my first valencay using the recipe from Artisan Cheesemaking at Home. I only had 2 pyramids, so the rest of the curd went into a ricotta mold. 

All seemed to be well, I had turned them daily for the first 2 weeks in the cave although I didn't see much PC growing on the surface. 

Here is where I think it went downhill: we went on vacation for a week and when we returned I immediately checked on them. They all had PC growing well on the surface seemed very soft to the touch. The round was actually oozing out bit.

I pulled them from the cave, wrapped the pyramids in foil and cut into the round.  It was super runny throughout and had a buttery but very salty taste.

I've read as many posts as I've been able to find on here and all I can think was that there was too much moisture.  I didn't use a hygrometer, but had to wipe moisture daily and left the lid on the box slightly open while we were away.

Any other ideas how this would happen? Is this normal?

Thank you!!!!

Stinky

Re: Valencay Help for a rookie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:00:13 AM »
That sounds like a fairly ideal result. The only thing that sounds like it went wrong is that you left on vacation the time when it was very ripe. ;)

I'd say do the same thing again, except this time stay around between weeks 2 and 3. If you identify characteristics you don't like, that it's too salty or whatnot, then come back and post here again. Right now that's the biggest option of what could have gone wrong on the logical ladder to eliminate.

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 02:13:38 AM »
Agree with Stinky. I find that Valencay types do require fairly constant monitoring and maintenance when they are aging. I don't leave them unsupervised more than a couple of days. As far as the salty taste, that would be due to the amount of salt you added to the cheese. Your taste may require a little less salt. The amount of salt in a make recipe is a good place to start, but may take some experimentation to get what you personally prefer.

Susan

cpritzl

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:12:48 PM »
Thank you for your encouragement.

We cut into a pyramid last night and it was perfect except for being too salty. 

I also have discovered the source of the salt.  I had purchased vegetable ash from cheeseandyogurtmaking.com and it was pre-mixed with salt and then I had added additional salt when I dusted.  So here is a good rookie lesson, double check the contents of the ingredients you're using.

I'm starting another batch today and will definitely post the results!

Thank you guys again

Stinky

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 04:21:23 PM »
Great! Post pictures and make notes if you can!  ;)

SOSEATTLE

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:35:58 PM »
Look forward to seeing your next batch  :D. Valencay style is one of my very favorites to make  ^-^.

Susan