Author Topic: Dill Havarti  (Read 3903 times)

ksk2175

Dill Havarti
« on: February 21, 2016, 07:01:20 PM »
Here are some pictures of my Dill Havarti make this weekend. 

I didn't get that super slimy result after the cold water bath that a lot of others have commented on and I am wondering if it is indicative of something having gone wrong or not. I soaked it for 4 hours in the cold water and 4 hours in the brine. When I took it out of the brine, it felt like it had a definite "skin" on it but the wheel was pliable, kind of rubbery. This is my first make for this type of cheese so didn't know what to expect. It is now in a ripening box in the cave ... 55 f/ 95 rh ... I will keep it there until it feels dry to the touch then I will bag it.

How long does this type of cheese take to mature or when should I be testing it?

This was a 4 gallon make using 3 gal P&H and 1 gal cream top, non-h.   (My local natural grocers just started carrying it in gallon quantities for about $7.25 gal which is better than the half gallon prices so I grabbed a gallon to mix it in and try it out)

I followed the recipe on NEC website and compared it to Peter Dixons recipe, then made adjustments using MM100, floc test, and cooking time based on feel.  I did not press under whey this time but will try that in the future.

ksk2175

Re: Dill Havarti
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 07:24:08 PM »
pics ...

ksk2175

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2016, 07:26:49 PM »
Pics 2 ...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 08:12:02 PM »
Beautiful cheese!!!  Awesome dispersion of the dill throughout!  AC4U!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 12:10:56 AM »
A humdinger of a cheese.  Have one on me, also.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 06:48:28 PM »
Agreed, a beautiful result; looking forward to the taste test!

I wouldn't worry about not getting a slimy feel; I'm guessing that has to do with pH levels and/or calcium leaching from the rind -- or at least, that's the sort of thing I've read about when someone brines a cheese without adding appropriate amounts of vinegar and CaCl to the solution.
-- Andy

ksk2175

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 07:05:01 PM »

I wouldn't worry about not getting a slimy feel; I'm guessing that has to do with pH levels and/or calcium leaching from the rind -- or at least, that's the sort of thing I've read about when someone brines a cheese without adding appropriate amounts of vinegar and CaCl to the solution.

Thanks.  I wondered that also.  My brine did have both the CaCl and vinegar added to it so maybe that is why no leaching.  Im looking forward to the taste test as well.

ksk2175

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 07:07:56 PM »
Any suggestions as to how long I am letting this one sit before trying?  I will bag it for most of its maturation. 

Kern

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 11:11:38 PM »
NEC recommends about 3 months in the recipe.

Stinky

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 01:29:03 AM »

Adding to this-- don't worry might be better put as "that's the way it's supposed to be".  Good job!  :D

ksk2175

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 03:45:38 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses!  I am excited to see how this one turns out and will definitely post a taste report in a few months. 

ksk2175

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2016, 03:57:15 PM »
Tried this Dill Havarti today at 10 weeks.   

I think the texture was great. Very creamy, semi-soft, flexible, moist. Melted easy and fast.

The flavor was evident of two things. Not enough time in the brine as I would have liked more presence of salt in the flavor and I used way too much dill. The dill is a bit too bitter.  It is still a very delicious cheese that I will enjoy eating. I decided to wrap it back up to give it some more time. So far a success in my book.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 04:48:16 PM by ksk2175 »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »
Excellent job, Ken. Sorry the proportion of dill was too heavy. Just a note for your next iteration. ;)

Have a cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2016, 12:58:25 AM »
I am wondering if dill would be a nice change to a Caerphilly ???
Oh and thanks for the pics and a cheese to you for that ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 03:25:07 AM »
Wow, that's great documentation...and the cheese looks pretty good too :) congrats and enjoy!