Author Topic: Canned Goat's Milk - USA Meyenberg Brand  (Read 5347 times)

timnbama

Canned Goat's Milk - USA Meyenberg Brand
« on: May 24, 2009, 10:11:38 PM »
Like a fool I added some of that stuff to a batch of milk that I tried to make cheese out of and wound up with a very expensive mess. After reading up on it, it's ultra-pasteurized, which don't work for cheese making or at least it didn't for me. A couple of cans prevented 3-1/2 gals. cow's milk from setting curd. After normal ripening with meso, had used calcium, and normal amount and time for rennet it was time to ezperiment before dumping that mess out. Double rennet was added and after 7 more hours still not a decent curd. So then it was time to really try something desperate, heat treatment and vinegar. NOPE! that didn't do the trick either. If the stuff wasn't ultra'd to death it might be a good product.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
Re: Canned Goat's Milk - USA Meyenberg Brand
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 07:25:17 AM »
Sorry about your experinace I will make a note of it in case I come acoross this milk in the future. Thanks!

timnbama

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 09:39:00 PM »
According to the company's website the powdered version can be used for making cheese and they even post a recipe for a chevre. I may try the powdered some time just to say that I did try it but the canned won't never follow me home again. That was an expensive udder failure!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 03:14:27 AM »
I've tried a few basic cheeses with regular dry milk powder like Carnation that weren't bad. There's even a study on using it in cheddar but I haven't tried it.

timnbama

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 11:35:43 PM »
Yes, and I've used regular non-fat powder in cheese making before with good luck. Just never tried the goat milk powder before so that may be interesting and hopefully it won't be as near as expensive as that batch was.

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 11:42:42 PM »
Tough luck Tim on your canned(?) Meyenburg Brand goat's milk. I'm surprised that a couple cans of it made that big a difference. I also used that brand but a quart sized box and no other milk in my only try todate on making Chevre and also couldn't get a good set.

That said, I've use quart cardboard boxes of Ultra-Pasteurized Half & Half cow's milk for making Cream Cheese & Neufchatel and that's worked well but you don't need a good curd set for those . . .

timnbama

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 02:23:36 AM »
That was the canned evaporated type and not the powdered in the can. It was dated as being made in 2008 and according to the company's info it is supposed to be good for 4 years from date. I can't think of nothing else that would have made the difference other than that. I have a deep well so it is the same source of water. New calcium, new rennet, freshly bought and as long dated milk and cream were used as I could find in the store. The temp. was right along with everything else that I could control.