Author Topic: calculating culture amounts  (Read 1517 times)

wattlebloke

calculating culture amounts
« on: February 23, 2016, 10:41:55 PM »
I'm a little bit puzzled to translate a recipe from the New England Cheesemaking website (for Tomme de Savoire) into amounts and types of cultures. Their recipe calls for a pack each of C101 and 201: I figure that's a basic meso and a thermo; but what amounts? The cultures I buy usually come in packs sufficient for 250 litres of milk (60 galls) and I'm OK with calculating amounts for one culture (usually 1/8th tsp for a 8 litre -2 gall make)...but if two cultures (meso and thermo) are being used, generally speaking, should I add roughly 1/8th tsp of each, or 1/8th in total?
As I write this I'm thinking, tick, tick, tick... I must have to add 1/8th of Meso to get the early acid development, and think of the thermo as an adjunct to kick in and do its own acid development later in the make...but I would like to have my logic confirmed.
I think maybe its time I found a copy of Caldwell...

Stinky

Re: calculating culture amounts
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 01:22:23 AM »
I'd say an eighth teaspoon of each, I generally work with around 1/4 tsp per batch altogether

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: calculating culture amounts
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:51:41 AM »
The recipe appears to call for equal amounts of each culture: 1/2 the recommended dose of each.
As a starting point I would look at the manufacturersrecommended dosages for the culture you are using and go for 1/2 the recommended dose of each. That gives you the equivalent of a standard dose in total.
So, if your standard dose for a single culture is 1/8 tsp, that would be 1/16 tsp of thermo and 1/16 tsp of meso.
- Andrew