Author Topic: Can you name....  (Read 3335 times)

amiriliano

Can you name....
« on: February 24, 2016, 03:05:21 AM »
Hi all

Trying to put a list together of cheeses that fit the following criteria:

Hard or very hard

And

Can be enjoyed after 2 months or so of aging

Who can name 'em?

Thanks!!

olikli

Re: Can you name....
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:31:03 AM »
Belper Knolle

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:33:09 PM »
Tough assignment -- by definition, hard cheeses = low moisture = longer aging. If you can go to 3 months, Asiago or Montasio might suit -- they are not super-hard, but certainly a thermo cheese that is cooked to a reasonably high temperature. That said, I think 3 months is on the low side for aging a Montasio. I just made my first Asiago a month ago, so I don't know yet how it will be at 3 months.
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 04:29:02 PM »
I do a pirated version of a hard parmesan that I smoke that is ready in about two months.  I dry it out of the brine and then cold smoke it.  Then I wax it and let the smoke permeate into the cheese for 1.5-2 months before taking the wax off and eating.  Good stuff.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

amiriliano

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:44:57 PM »
The belper knolle is an interesting idea!

Awake: agreed. Theoretically , longer stir/cook times would also produce drier curd as would longer/heavier pressing

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 08:20:24 PM »
I do a pirated version of a hard parmesan that I smoke that is ready in about two months.  I dry it out of the brine and then cold smoke it.  Then I wax it and let the smoke permeate into the cheese for 1.5-2 months before taking the wax off and eating.  Good stuff.

Oh, I like this idea!
-- Andy

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:55:01 AM »

Oh, I like this idea!

you smoke it for an hour.  When you take the wax off you wipe the bitter smoke off of the outside with white wine.  Tastes great!!

Stinky

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 02:55:56 AM »
Possibly the ones you said were not moist enough last time you asked?  ;)

qdog1955

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 11:11:59 AM »
Try a Fiborioc cheese-------Found in back of refrigerator in opened container :)-------meets all your criteria.
Qdog

reg

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 01:17:29 PM »
" When you take the wax off you wipe the bitter smoke off of the outside with white wine."

Al if you try intermittent smoke (on for 15 minutes off of 15 minutes) I have found that you don't get the bitter smoke. Which wood were you using ?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
" When you take the wax off you wipe the bitter smoke off of the outside with white wine."

Al if you try intermittent smoke (on for 15 minutes off of 15 minutes) I have found that you don't get the bitter smoke. Which wood were you using ?

I use fruit woods, normally apple, but my cold smoker would not be conducive to a, on-off, routine.  This is a 42" high smoker with a cold smoke attachment on the side set up for smoking hams and bacon.  The first I did I smoke for 3 hours but the smoke flavor was too strong.  At one hour it works great.  The second picture is the attachment I have on the side of the smoker.  It will burn for up to 6 hours but is not an on and off type of attachment.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 05:13:29 PM by Al Lewis »

amiriliano

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 02:35:39 PM »
@ stinky: ha! Hey this is SLIGHTLY a different question. Last time I didn't have the hard, dry requirement!!

amiriliano

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 02:36:25 PM »
@QDog: Fiborioc cheese??

reg

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2016, 02:27:46 PM »
Oh I see Al. I have a very similar setup as far as physical dimensions go but my heat comes from a solid top electrical hot plate sitting in the bottom of the chamber. That hot plate is set to about 75-90* and the chips sit right on top the plate. Under the cheese is a large water pan filled with ice and ice water. Not something you would use in the middle of the summer but it works well in the other three seasons.

We do a lot of bacon, hams and all types of BBQ here in Niagara