Author Topic: 30 minute Mozzarella question  (Read 2288 times)

avaserfi

30 minute Mozzarella question
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:26:58 AM »
I made some 30 minute mozzarella (with calcium chloride) a week ago it was a little more sticky than normal. I made some pizza with most of it and the results were great. The rest sat in the fridge for 3 more days wrapped in plastic wrap. I pulled it out for some more pizza and brought to room temperature - it was extremely gooey sticking to everything. Is this a result of too much whey in the curd when forming or something else?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: 30 minute Mozzarella question
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:39:58 AM »
Sorry don't know. But I would suspect whey has nothing to do with it. I would think if there was too much whey it would be more watery, which means it still leaks whey or the mozz is not firm enough. The gooey part probably comes from the process.

avaserfi

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:48:03 AM »
Hmm, I wonder what part of the process could have caused mozzarella to have a similar consistency to brie, but even more sticky? I thought I should try to make a more dry cheese because of the goo, hopefully someone knows.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 01:55:10 AM by avaserfi »

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 07:14:51 AM »
Fresh mozzarella doesn't keep very long. A week is pushing it. It tends to get all slimy. It does freeze well.

avaserfi

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:35:03 PM »
Interesting, I guess next time I will store it in the freezer. I have never had an issue with store bought lasting a week though...

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 04:42:09 PM »
It depends if it's store bought FRESH Mozz stored in brine/water then you wouldn't notice if it's slimy, but it's made to be eaten fresh which means quickly. If it's regular Prescious brand in a ball (dry like regular cheese) that's for grating for pasta and pizza then you're all right, it'll last a while.