Author Topic: Camembert Molds  (Read 1975 times)

ksk2175

Camembert Molds
« on: February 28, 2016, 04:12:18 AM »
Thoughts on these working for Camembert's ...

They are not as tall as my small Cam mold but they are larger diameter.  Too shallow?

Small Cam mold is 3-3/8" x 3-3/8" ... and these are 4-1/8" x 2-7/8"

Sides are fairly straight and there are not too many indentations on the inside surfaces.  Though if they could work, it would allow me to flip in place with the lid on.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Camembert Molds
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 05:16:52 AM »
The draft angle would appear to be too steep on the ones with lids.  Also they should be open ended.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 08:15:48 AM »
You probably need holes in the side to let whey escape. A 5 minute job with a suitable drill would do the trick 8)
keep us posted...
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
I use similar, I made holes on the sides bottom and lid with a heated ice pick. I have proper camembert hoops but I prefer my diy hoops, they make flipping so easy.

ksk2175

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »
You probably need holes in the side to let whey escape. A 5 minute job with a suitable drill would do the trick 8)
keep us posted...

They are hard to see in the pics but they are there. I used the same diameter drill bit as the white pre-purchased mold.

I wonder if the the starting curd height of 2-7/8" will be enough to give me a 1-1/2" paste?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »
Ken, I'm going to respectfully disagree with Al -- I have used molds with sloped sides for camemberts, and they came out just fine; I flipped them such that the cheese sides get sloped both ways, giving a sort of rounded side. I also have never yet made a camembert using a mold with open ends; I've always made do with molds having a bottom. Since there are bloomy cheeses in all sorts of shapes, including pyramids, I didn't see why it would be a problem, and while it is a bit trickier to flip, it has worked just fine. I'd think you could just flip using the lids, leaving the sides sloped, or flip the first time or two that way, but once it has firmed up enough to handle, start flipping conventionally to round off the sides.

As for the height of the curds ... well, it may be a matter of trial and error. Probably you will need to use fewer of these larger molds as compared to the smaller molds -- e.g., if you use 4 smaller molds, you may only need 3 of the larger ones.
-- Andy