Author Topic: new here  (Read 4473 times)

Sedona

new here
« on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:01 AM »
Hello i'm new here and have a terrible time to make cheese from pasteurized milk.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: new here
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2009, 01:42:51 AM »
It's very common. What kind of cheese are you trying to make? If you can post your recipe and your technique we'll try to help.

Sedona

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 01:55:46 AM »
This is the second time i have tried the Colby Cheese from the forum here. My problem is that i don't get a clean break after the milk been sitting for almost a day. I went by this recipe i mentioned above. I used liq. rennet, sodium cloride and mesophilic a.  I really don't know what the problem is. I also tried the Monterey Jack from this forum and had the same problem with the break.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:58:19 AM »
First off you didn't link to any recipe above. Second do you mean sodium chloride or calcium chloride, big difference? Also where did you get your rennet from? You shouldn't need to leave it sit all day, rennet works within 30-60 minutes.

Sedona

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 02:03:46 AM »
Oh, i'm sorry i mean Calcium Chloride. The liq. rennet comes from Hoegger Supplies.  Here is the recipe: 1 gal pasteurized cow milk, mesophilic starter of your choice, calcium chloride, rennet diluted in 1/4 cup water,

Sedona

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 02:06:47 AM »
Both recipes are from the forum here:  Colby Cheese & Monterey Jack Cheese

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 06:06:45 PM »
Sorry to be harsh but if you really want help you're going to have to list exactly what you did, YOUR procedure, that way we can determine if there is a problem.

Sedona

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 12:59:36 AM »
First of all I'm new with making cheese.
Monterey Jack: (I did not used the heavy cream like said in recipe).
I used 1 gal pasteurized milk. I combined milk and almost 1 tsp. calcium chloride (diluted in 1 TB distilled water), in a stainless steel stockpot and heated to 88 F.
Than i added 1/4 Mesophilic A starter and whisk in thoroughly.
I allowed the milk to ripen for 45 min. - 1 hr.
I increased the temp. of the milk (double boiler) to 90 F - and added 15 gram of non- iodine salt in 15 drops of liquid rennet (rennet imported kind from Hoegger). I also diluted the rennet in 2 TB of distilled cold water.
I stirred the rennet good in the milk.
I covered the pot. The recipe said 60 min. or until a clean break.
I waited & waited, i never got a clean break.  The milk been sitting almost a whole day and never got a clean break, matterfact never jelled.
Well i pitched the whole mass. I tried the same with the Colby. No luck.
I don't know if i done something wrong? 
Thanks for your help.

zenith1

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 03:22:16 AM »
Hi Sedona-are you from that awesome beautiful place. I love it there! I have made Colby without problem on several occasions but not using the recipe here on the forum. A couple of observations though-  I usually add cacl at the rate of ~ 1/4 tsp per gallon. Adding 1 tsp /gal as you have indicated may well be the problem because at that high a rate of application it will actually inhibit coagulation. Another question I would have is the addition of nacl with the rennet. I have not done mine at that point, I always add mine at the time of milling. All additives be it rennet, cacl,lipase, or coloring should be diluted in 1/4 cup of cool sterile water prior to adding. Some like the lipase need to stand 20-30 minutes prior to being added. I have not read through the colby recipe here on the forum, maybe there are other members here that have used it that can add some comments. Don't get down on yourself. Making cheese is part art, part science-all done with a home chemistry kit!

archroy

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 04:21:21 AM »
My guess is that the milk you used may not be any good for cheese making.  It could be ultra-pasteurized which would make it tough to get a clean break.  Some milk may be ultra-pasteurized and not say it on the label especially if it is organic and has a long sell by date. 

-Archroy

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 09:05:23 PM »
OK now were getting somewhere.

First use 1/8-1/4 tsp of liquid Calcium Chloride (CACL2)
Next don't add salt until you have curds and the whey has been drained away.
When diluting rennet don't use tap water use spring bottled water or distilled water. The cholrine in tap water will render the rennet useless.
Are you storing the rennet in the refrigerator? NOT THE FREEZER?
It is possible to have bad rennet, but if it's new I would try the other things I've listed.

You also mentioned you added 1/4 meso starter, 1/4 what? 1/4 teaspoon, 1/4 cup?

Also make sure the milk is not ultra pasteurized as mentioned above. In California by law it has to be labeled Ultra if it is.
Good luck.

timnbama

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 11:29:03 PM »
You said that you added 15 grams of salt to the rennet - that's a half ounce of salt, way too much at that point. The Colby that I pictured here in this section was made using the recipe from the recipe section on the front of this website. I didn't add any salt to the rennet. Calcium I added 3/8 tsp. to 3 gallons and 4-8 oz. cartons of whipping cream.

Sedona

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2009, 12:47:19 AM »
Thank you all,
Nope i'm not from the red rock country (i wish).
I used 1/4 tsp. meso starter. I will make a new batch and use 1/8 - 1/4 tsp. of liq. calcium chloride and see what happen.
I store the liq. rennet in the refrigerator & i just purchased that.
I don't use ultra pasteurized milk.
Yes the colby & monterey cheese recipes are from the front page of this website, and it say stir 15 gram salt into diluted rennet then stir the salt-rennet solution gently into milk.
So i guess i shouldn't do that. Every recipe is different and confuses me.
I'm new with making cheese so please bare with me, i learn from my mistakes. I just went by the recipes on this website. Anyone know a good cheesemaking book i can order?  I just ordered one (Cheese Making by Ricki Carroll) and i'm dissapointed.
I do have another question:  How do i know how much rennet, calcium chl, mesophilic to use when i make a 2 gal or 3 gal batch?  Use the double amount?
I let you know how the next batch turns out.
Thanks again for the help & i probably have more questions.
Sedona

zenith1

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2009, 02:19:18 AM »
as far as books are concerned have a look at he library section of this forum. It has a lot of useful links. I too have used the carroll book. It is an OK starting point but she occasionally comes up short. Use it as a guide. As far as recipes and making larger batches you mostly just upscale the quantities of all ingredients. You have to look at the starter cultures because they give you some latitude as far as quantities used versus the amount of milk you are ripening, and also the types of starters used. The direct set starter cultures are the way to go because it removes another variable that could upset the apple cart. Keep trying, keep good notes, and use your experiences to guide you. Pay close attention to temps and times because this has a huge impact on your final product. Have fun! :)

Sedona

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 03:24:57 AM »
Thanks again zenith1, i check it all out :)