Author Topic: My first attempt at Camembert  (Read 8522 times)

ksk2175

Re: My first attempt at Camembert
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2016, 10:02:54 PM »
In my experience what shows up is not so much "fuzz" but rather a flat white material that starts to soften the surface detail much like a snowfall covering items left lying on the lawn.  Take a look at the edges of the Cams in AnnDee's photos.

I can relate to that description ... makes sense... especially with me being in Colorado and all ...

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2016, 10:19:50 PM »
In my experience what shows up is not so much "fuzz" but rather a flat white material that starts to soften the surface detail much like a snowfall covering items left lying on the lawn.  Take a look at the edges of the Cams in AnnDee's photos.

Interesting as mine always have white "hairs" that seem to stick straight up, not very high, until I pet them down.  Sort of feels like fur on a cat.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 03:51:15 PM »
I wonder if some of this depends on the exact variety of PC involved; mine is usually pretty flat, especially if I flip every day. If I let it go longer, it does grow down through the plastic mesh on which it rests, and when pulled off it has an interesting checkerboard appearance with the PC sticking up in little squares. But even then, I wouldn't describe it as particularly hairy / furry ...
-- Andy

ksk2175

« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2016, 06:55:59 PM »
Day 7 ...

Kern

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 08:16:46 PM »
I'd say you are close to cold fridge time - maybe day 9???

AnnDee

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2016, 01:31:43 AM »
Looking good! Looks like the geo wrinkliness is happening first.

ksk2175

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 07:40:21 PM »
Day 8 ....  not as much white as I would have expected by now ...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 08:40:02 PM by ksk2175 »

ksk2175

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »
wonder how I can keep from having rotation problems with my images ... they are not rotated that way originally.  ??

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 08:23:49 PM »
That's a "feature" of iPhone/iPad technology. Other forum folks have experienced the same phenomeon.

Sorry, no idea if an explanation or solution exists.  :(

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

ksk2175

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
I thought me sending them from my device to my computer then rotating as needed prior to posting had fixed the issue but this time it didnt seem to work.  They are orientated correctly on my computer but after my last posting ... they are slanted .... gonna try to rotate my pictures on the computer to counter what is showing above and edit the post ....  Thanks...

ksk2175

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2016, 08:42:00 PM »
I thought me sending them from my device to my computer then rotating as needed prior to posting had fixed the issue but this time it didnt seem to work.  They are orientated correctly on my computer but after my last posting ... they are slanted .... gonna try to rotate my pictures on the computer to counter what is showing above and edit the post ....  Thanks...
Well that didnt work ... I tried reducing the size of them to see if that helped and not so much.  If you click to enlarge it seems to rotate correctly so I will just leave it at that....

AnnDee

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 12:46:19 AM »
If the image size is too big, it will rotate. So I use an app, instaframe, that allows me to save it to a lower pixel (I choose the lowest which is 1000x1000). I'm sure there is other ways to bring it down lower but this is the fastest way for me.

Kern

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 05:39:31 AM »
I have found that if I take a square picture with my iPhone with the phone horizontal and the shutter button on the right that the photos come out correct when sent by e-mail to my computer.  I save them on the hard drive and then upload them to Forum posts and have had no orientation problems.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2016, 02:37:52 PM »
Ken,

Here is what is happening behind the scenes: with any modern digital picture, there are various "metadata" tags that can indicate when the picture was shot, what the camera settings were, even the GPS coordinates if the device is set up that way. One of these tags is rotation -- how the device was rotated when the picture was taken. Generally, when you work with a digital picture on a computer or hand-held device, the pixel data is never changed; the computer or device just reads the metadata tags and adjusts for the current conditions (screen size, rotation) "on the fly."

The exception to the general rule is with forum software -- most forum software does actually reduces the size (resolution) of the pixel data when it is uploaded; in the process, I believe most forum software reads the rotation tag, and as needed actually re-orients the stored pixels to the proper rotation. This allows the web software to store the picture without using up so much room (not only reduced size, but also all metadata tags stripped out); it also helps speed things up a tiny bit to send out the picture data without having to manipulate it -- it is already sized appropriately for most screens, and already rotated to the proper orientation.

This forum is an exception to the general rule for forum software! This one does not automatically reduce the size of uploaded pictures; it stores the whole file you send, however big it may be. I'm not sure if that's why this forum seems to have more trouble with the rotation issue, though I have noticed that Apple products seem to cause trouble in this respect for many forums. Since this forum doesn't do it automatically, it is a very good idea to reduce the size of the picture before uploading -- otherwise, for folks with slower connections, it can take a long time for the pictures to download. Actually, for any forum, even ones that do automatically reduce the size, I always re-size before uploading, just so it takes less time to upload.

But here's the catch: Just about any computer/device software that reduces the size of a digital picture will NOT re-orient the pixels; it just reduces the size, leaving the rotation tag in the metadata, and counts on the displaying device to take care of rotating as needed. And here's a bigger catch: even if you manually apply a rotation, trying to correct for the problem, most software still doesn't actually re-orient the pixels; it just adjusts the metadata tag! So you need software that can re-size and re-orient the pixel data physically, without regard to the metadata.

For this and other picture-manipulation purposes, I use a suite of programs called imagemagick -- this is on a Linux machine, but the same thing is available for Macs and I believe for Windows. Unfortunately, these are command-line programs, so you have to be willing to "geek it" to use them. I guess one of these days I need to write a little GUI wrapper around this program that would allow folks to deal with this issue more easily ...
-- Andy

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2016, 03:49:07 PM »
All of that is very interesting :-\
Soooooo, back to cheese making.
Your brie have a nice looking fur coat, I predict, numnumnum ^-^
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/