Author Topic: Butter Making Going to Far or Not Far Enough, Need some insight.  (Read 5726 times)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Butter Making Going to Far or Not Far Enough, Need some insight.
« on: December 12, 2022, 08:07:19 AM »
I just started making butter. Haven't read any books only seen YouTube vids. I'm an exacting kind of guy so I'd like some clarity.

I've made two batches one regular and one cultured. Haven't tasted them yet as I just made them and I've read that it tastes better after being refrigerated for a few days.

Anyway, I'm making it in my Kitchenaid mixer with a whisk attachment. I was wondering if anyone on here can tell me what to look out for when making the butter.

1. How do you know if you've gone far enough, meaning I'm stopping when the butter clumps up and releases a lot of the buttermilk? So I'm wondering if I should be looking for something specific on when to stop.
2. What happens if I whip too far? What happens if I don't whip enough, whip enough like right on the verge; not so under that it's still clearly whipped cream?

Offline macrn

• New Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: Butter Making Going to Far or Not Far Enough, Need some insight.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2022, 07:51:58 PM »
My mother used to make her butter in an Osterizer and my recollection is that once it starts clumping then you stop gather the clumps and plunge it in cold (ice cube) water and work the buttermilk  out using a wooden spoon rinse and re repeat until water is virtually clear. if the buttermilk isn't all washed out it will give the butter a sour smell at room temperature. I have no memory of when salt is added.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Butter Making Going to Far or Not Far Enough, Need some insight.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2022, 09:35:15 AM »
Ok thanks good to know. No need for anyone else to answer. I don't think I'm going to pursue making butter. I stopped at the right time for these batches and taste tested them tonight. Absolutely no difference than good store bought butter. The cultured butter tasted a little more buttery, but also more greasy and creamy but not in a good way.