Author Topic: Culture Crispies  (Read 897 times)

ksk2175

Culture Crispies
« on: March 09, 2016, 12:57:38 AM »
Recently received a pack of Flora Danica from ArtisanGeek and it was rather course.  Is this typical?  Is there a general consensus with how to pre-treat this or other cultures before adding them to makes?  Coffee grinder?  Should I pre-rehydrate the dosage first in some milk much like I do the rennet dilution? 

On my camembert make recently, I placed the measured amount in a small ramekin and used the flat smooth end of a butter knife to crush all the little culture balls into a fine of powder the best I could.

Thoughts?

Thanks - Ken

SOSEATTLE

Re: Culture Crispies
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 02:11:11 AM »
Some people feel that crushing the coarse cultures is necessary. I spoke directly with the manufacturer at a class that I took once and they indicated that crushing the "crispies" is not necessary. Since then I have not done it and it has all worked out just fine  :). I do sprinkle it on top of the milk in the vat and let it sit a couple minutes before stirring it into the milk.

Susan

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 02:43:16 AM »
I have used it both ways... using a rolling pin on the package before opening, or not. The measurement seems approximate either way, and I have never noticed a difference in the make. I usually add the cultures and just start stirring for about 5 minutes either way.
Susan

Kern

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:16:22 AM »
The slight difference between and eighth of a teaspoon of crushed verses crispies would only make a small difference in the time it takes for the pH to reach goal.  I used to be a crusher but now prefer my FD crisp.

ksk2175

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »
Thanks .... I will have to take your advice and take that leap of faith myself and just pitch them in and see what happens over a few minutes ...