Author Topic: Tomme cheese one batch three flavors  (Read 5369 times)

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
Re: Tomme cheese one batch three flavors
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 04:10:18 AM »
Well I guess if it is somewhat normal I will put my worries to rest.   I just get a little nervous being now this is a business instead of a hobby.  I hope I can get everything just right so people will take my cheese serious.  Most people still think I'm just some punk kid ( I'm only twenty)  that don't know anything, and it is hard to run a business with people in that mind set.  I want my cheese to wow them when they eat it.  When it was a hobby I was happy if it was edible. 

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 05:51:33 AM »
If it is that common  black house  type fly then they are attracted to light when in the dark and to dark when in the light so paint the curtains white so you have less of them flying in .

My good friend spent part of his career studying them and the chemicals to kill them . I will try to remember to ask him what you can do to kill them when they are already in .

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 06:29:45 AM »
Hey Chetty, I'm so impressed with what you have done (commercially) so far, at age of only 20! Blow me away.... Have no fear, people will take you seriously and you will wow them with gusto.
If I may give some elderly advice... Learn your craft well... Well enough to sell your cheese verbally, and of course with consistent great taste. Understand and learn good marketing and business savvy for growth of your investment and for success. Your hard work will not go unrewarded.
 Its good to learn the cheeses of the world, but your success will come from the cheeses YOU create and have YOUR signature, YOUR heart and soul in every bite. We should be able to taste the love you put into your foods as an ingredient... Sounds corny ... But I've seen it before, and heard that phrase from guests I've had the pleasure serving my offerings to. As will you.
Your cheeses don't have to look perfect... It's not factory food... It's artisan gourmet cheese from cows that you can point to, and people will pay for your uniqueness and style. All the best success and luck!

Offline Gregore

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 43
  • Default personal text
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 01:48:29 PM »
I suggest read the book  " purple cow "  by Seth godin.  it will give ideas on how to stand out from the crowd

There are also a whole slew of books on tape at the library in the business section that will help inform and inspire you . They can easily listen as you make cheese or do other such cheese chores.

Good luck  :)

jwalker

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 12:41:53 PM »
Only twenty and already giving serious cheese making a go , that's great !

I'm giving you a cheese just for that !

You're cheeses look fine , and considering your age , you have lot's of time to learn and overcome any problems you may encounter.

Keep up the great work !

Offline Chetty

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 17
  • Default personal text
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 01:23:54 AM »
Thanks for the cheese.  I visited a small cheese maker just across the mountains from me today.  They were great to talk too.  They thought that the slumping problem that I'm having could be how long I brine my cheese for I'm going to brine longer and see if it helps.  I also was offered a steam kettle from them for scrap price. It would be great for cheeses that have to cook to the higher temps if I ever went that direction.  http://rockhillcheese.com  This is there website it is only a taste of the real thing. 

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 01:43:21 AM »
Good looking web site and great selection from 8 cows. Inspiration comes from all you see and taste (and who you meet of course :)

Frodage3

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2016, 03:16:38 PM »
Gravity acting on the wheel causes it to slump.
All this time I thought it was a special barrel-shaped mould!  :-[
I gave you a cheese for the welcome info.

Kern

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2016, 08:58:26 PM »
Thanks for the cheese.  :D  Speaking of which, most pressed cheeses initially act more like a high viscosity liquid than the solid we think they are.  As such they are able to slowly flow under the stress of their own weight.  This actually is a desirable quality as it allows us to knit the curds together under a light pressing weight in the mold, which obviously contains them from distorting during this part of the process.  The weight of the new cheese is well supported in a saturated brine bath that also firms up the rind.  The brine bath also raises the cheese viscosity through cooling.  At some point after the brining process the viscosity of the new cheese gets high enough that it will not distort due to its own weight.  Good practice calls for turning the new cheese daily until it is obvious that this point has been reached.  After this the cheese can be turned far less often.  Periodic turning also helps distribute moisture evenly throughout the cheese.

Dorchestercheese

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2018, 11:13:51 AM »
Hi Any idea what quanitity you will need to produce to clear a livable profit?