Author Topic: Make acidified too quickly  (Read 2113 times)

lauravanb

Make acidified too quickly
« on: March 09, 2016, 10:08:22 AM »
This weekend I made a Swiss. I followed Caldwell's recipe, but used 2.1g C201 + 0.3g PS. I reached the scald temp of 122 within the target time and checked my pH, and it was already at target, though the recipe said to hold the temp while stirring until pH target was reached. So I'm assuming this SHOULD have taken some time (none was specified). Does this matter? Should I have been checking the pH along the way? And if I did and noticed it acidifying too quickly should I have done a rinse or heated more quickly or something to slow it down? What about maybe trying to use less culture next time?

Kern

Re: Make acidified too quickly
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:20:36 PM »
Hi Laura,

I love your spunk and persistence.  Your seem to have the enthusiasm to become a great cheesemaker.  But, you lack some basic knowledge.  I am recommending that you get this book.  

I have it and have read it about four times.  It gave me the foundation I needed to make some really good cheese and most importantly to understand the process.

Kern

lauravanb

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:27:38 PM »
I'll admit there is a huge learning curve here! I do own this book, though.. And it still leaves me with a lot of questions. There is just an endless amount one could learn on the subject of cheese making. And it's a bit overwhelming. When you're the only person you know who makes cheese, there's no one to turn to when you have questions. Sorry to bother.

lauravanb

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:31:28 PM »
And thank you SO MUCH for all of your responses, by the way! You have been so helpful and I appreciate the time it takes to respond!!

Kern

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 12:24:59 AM »
Laura,

Answering your questions is no bother at all.  I'm glad you have Caldwell's book.  I hope you can slog through it, especially the first three chapters. 

Kern

lauravanb

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 12:29:33 AM »
Yeah I think I should probably reread it! I think my brain went a little fuzzy while trying to comprehend!

Kern

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 12:44:34 AM »
Laura:

Read it a little bit at a time.  Making cheese is a fermentation process.  Lactic bacteria "eat" lactose (milk sugar) and make lactic acid.  Acid lowers the pH.  That's why the readings can't climb unless the meter is working incorrectly.  There are a number of different kinds of lactic bacteria.  Try getting away from the so called recipe book approach and use one of Caldwell's procedures for a particular type of cheese/process.  Search the forum for the type of cheese you want to make (Caldwell's Tomme is a good place to start as it is a good everyday cheese) and then make it several times in a row until you get it down.  I have attached an Excel Spreadsheet for the Tomme I made last December.  You can drop the rind yeast portion to simplify it and make it in nice two gallon batches.  You'll see my make notes on the second page.  Try to use non-homogenized milk if you can find it.  My Tomme make was a combination of Caldwell as well as a distillation of a number of Tomme treads on this forum.  Private mail me if you have specific questions or get stuck.

Kern