Author Topic: Vacherin mont d'Or wannabe  (Read 1999 times)

AnnDee

Vacherin mont d'Or wannabe
« on: March 10, 2016, 01:59:48 AM »
I made this cheese using Vacherin mont d'Or recipe and method but minus the spruce bark. I used dried coconut leaves that I soaked in brine instead. I call this cheese amber line, from the amber colour of the coconut leaves on the sides of the cheese.

Recipe:

4 ltr P&H milk
1/4 tsp Cacl
300 ml uht cream
60 ml kefir
1/32 tsp PC
Half 1/64 GC (teeny tiny amount)
1/16 tsp renco calf rennet powder diluted in 1/4 cup unchlorinated water
Saturated brine

The cheese make

Heat to milk and cream separately in water bath, when it reach 26-27 mix them and heat together to 32C total should be in about 30 minutes.
Add cacl.
Add kefir and molds, stir thoroughly (3-5 minutes).
Leave it 90 minutes.
Make sure temp still 32C, add rennet. Flocc (this time 8 minutes) times 6 (multiplier 6)>> 54.
Clean break at 58 minutes.
Cut the curd into big squares. Leave for 10 minutes.
Swirl the pot around for 15 minutes until whey comes up.
Formed the cheese into 3 moulds. Done in 15-20 minutes. This was 4 pm.
Flip after 30 minutes.
Flip again after another 30.
Leave it for 2-3 hrs (went out).
Flip again. This was 9 pm.
Leave it overnight.
Flip once more.
After completed from the end of forming and flipping last night 12 hrs, brined them 30 minutes (15 minutes each side). 9 am.
Put back in forms.
Leave it for 6-8 hrs.
Apply coconut leaves (soaked in light brine for 24 hrs). Place in muslin lined wooden plank, covered. (Draining mat first at the bottom).
After 12 hrs, the smell is sweet and a little yeasty, like coconut fermented drinks.
After 28 hrs, the surface still moist but you can tell the molds is starting to grow. The smell still sweet yeasty fermented coconut drink. A little like tapai ketan (Indonesian fermented rice).
I flipped them into a muslin covered bambu chopping board now. Temp around 22-23, inside a box maybe around 85-90 humidity.
After 12 more hrs (40 hrs total), the white molds starts to grow on the face up side, not too much but you can tell it is there. The other side is damp bordering wet. The cheeses are flipped into muslin lined bamboo board (fresh muslin which I microwave for 90 seconds). They still have a sweet fermented coconut smell. 1 of them has a slight  puffing on a small area (1/6th of side up face). The coconut leafs start to adhere to the rind. They went in to the cave of 15 C in the box today. For only 5 hrs.
I put them in warmer cave around 18-20C now. I also changed the wood using paulownia wood and changed the rubber band using jute rope.

AnnDee

Re: Vacherin mont d'Or wannabe
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 02:09:37 AM »
After 7 days, I start washing them with 6% brine on the top face and sides. I flipped and washed everyday, the surface is always wet/moist and natural blinens appeared. I did this for 4 weeks.

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 02:14:47 AM »
Now the cheeses are 40 days old, I stop washing when they were 34 days old. I flipped them everyday.
Question is now what do I do? Wait until they get soft? Or try to cut and eat 1 of them? Or...?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 02:17:39 PM »
The ones I made formed a sort of crust on the top.  They are heated to soften before eating.  Yours look good.  Try heating one and dipping crackers or vegetables in it. AC4U for an outstanding effort!! :D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 02:51:42 PM »
Yours look good! I have read your post on your make too, many times. Really like the look of this cheese and hopefully, the taste too.

When you say heat it, does it mean bake it? Or maybe microwave it? I prefer baking it in the oven than zapping it with microwave actually.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 03:56:59 PM »
I wrapped mine in some aluminum foil and baked it in the oven.  Didn't like the idea of microwaving it and the video I watched on it showed them baking it in foil.  You also add a little white wine on it before heating.  You can watch it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQy60zrmp7M

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 02:32:04 AM »
Thank Al, I baked mine for around 10 minutes and it turned to liquid. Yummy liquid that is. I put a little dry kombucha on it.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2016, 01:22:15 PM »
Looks perfect sweetheart!!  In Switzerland they spoon it over roasted potatoes.  Delicious!!! ;D