Author Topic: Condensed Cow's Milk - Using In Cheese Making?  (Read 3351 times)

mike_i

Condensed Cow's Milk - Using In Cheese Making?
« on: May 27, 2009, 03:52:13 AM »
I've made 30 min. mozzarella several times with good success. I've used regular store bought milk and raw cows milk and even a mixture of both, so far so good. I was wondering what would happen if I added some condensed milk to the mixture to add a little sweetness. Has anybody tried this?

Thanks, Mike

linuxboy

Re: Condensed Cow's Milk - Using In Cheese Making?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
Haven't tried it, but you're basically adding a lot more milk solids and some sugar that lactic bacteria cannot digest. I'm not sure if it will coagulate properly because condensed milk is UP. It's basically boiled after being sealed. The sweetness should remain, if that's what you're after. But then be careful of contaminants. Yeasts love that sugar.

Ariel301

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 02:57:02 AM »
What about adding extra cream for the sweetness? I've seen recipes that call for cream added to the raw milk.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 04:23:09 AM »
You had me thinking there for a minute ... I had to go grab a can and see what was in it. One thing that concerns me is there are preservatives in the condensed milk. I think that would kill the bacteria and ruin the whole thing.

dillon777

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:26:38 PM »
Ive had good luck and almost doubled my yield by adding 1 pint of heavy whipping cream to 1 gallon of store bought milk when making cheese.  Im thinking about making this a continued habit.  It costs a little more, but the yield pays for itself not to mention a creamier texture and better taste.

Mountain Lion Cheese

Tea

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
I also add cream to some of my cheeses, and yes the yield is great than without.
With the addition of condensed milk and the added sugars that that would add, I would be worried about some unwanted fermentation going.

Tropit

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 03:48:37 PM »
Do you mean condensed, or possibly evaporated?  Condensed is very sweet...it might be interesting though.