Author Topic: Grocery store milk for mozzerella  (Read 2894 times)

scootjeezy

Grocery store milk for mozzerella
« on: March 14, 2016, 12:35:44 PM »
Hello my friends!
I failed miserably at making my first mozzarella yesterday (it was all crumbly).  I have since learned that I did not use the correct milk.  I wanted to see if anyone knew of a brand of milk in the grocery store that I could actually use.  I heard Organic Valley Grassmilk works but haven't been able to find it.  Does anyone know any other milk I can readily find that might work?

Thanks for your help!

mswhin63

Re: Grocery store milk for mozzerella
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2016, 11:39:39 PM »
I personally have had success with the lowest cost milk store bought in Australia, but I am not experienced enough to offer advice.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 07:11:56 PM »
We probably need a bit more detail to help diagnose: Were you using a 30-minute type recipe (adding acid to the milk), or a cultured recipe? When you say "crumbly," do you mean that you never really got curds (just ricotta), or that your curds wouldn't stretch, but just fell apart on you?

By the way, welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

scootjeezy

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply and the warm welcome!

I used this recipe: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/10/how-to-make-fresh-mozzarella-from-scratch.html
Not sure if its a good one or not  :o

We were able to get curds but the curds wouldn't stretch and fell apart.  Let me know your thoughts!  Thanks again!  I really appreciate the help!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 03:21:15 PM »
Ah, the 30-minute mozzarella -- not what your recipe calls it, but how it is often known around here. I love how it looks so easy on the website, TV show, etc. ... but an awful lot of folks here on the forum find mozzarella to be one of the most difficult cheeses to get consistent results.

As the recipe you have linked to says, the milk makes a difference for sure. But I noticed, in their pictures, that even with the good milk, that presumably produced the good final results that they show, this acid-added approach generates a somewhat crumbly looking curd. That has always been my experience with this approach -- adding the acid tends to curdle the milk, and then when the rennet it added you get a curdled curd, if that makes sense.

You can also make mozzarella a more traditional way, by adding the appropriate culture(s) and letting the bacterial action generate the required acid. Generally with this approach, you will add the rennet while the milk is only mildly acidic, let it gel, cut the curds, maybe cook a bit, and drain them -- and then wait for the curds to continue to acidify until it reaches just the right level of pH, around 5.3 if I recall correctly. If the pH is too high, it won't stretch; if it is too low, it will crumble up.

I have always wondered how well the "30-minute" acid-added approach does in generating exactly the right pH. With the traditional method, you can start testing the curd to see when it gets to the magic stretchable point; the pH starts higher and drops over time under the action of the bacteria. But with the acid-added approach, it is kinda all or nothing -- either you have the right pH, or you have ricotta. Or tough cottage cheese. :)

I realize that none of the above is directly addressed to your questions, but maybe it helps give more insight into the many issues that can afflict mozzarella! :)
-- Andy

Kern

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 06:11:33 PM »
In defense of the "easy-to-make" 30-minute mozzarella cheese, I have to say if I hadn't got one of these little kits for my birthday in January 2015 that I would not have become the great cheesemaker and contributor that I am today.   ;)  Not because I ever made a decent batch of 30-minute cheese:  I never did.   But I got so pissed-off at my failures that by early February I ordered a copy of Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking , read it through and through and the rest, as they say is history.   8)

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 04:10:59 PM »
In defense of the "easy-to-make" 30-minute mozzarella cheese, I have to say if I hadn't got one of these little kits for my birthday in January 2015 that I would not have become the great cheesemaker and contributor that I am today.   ;)  Not because I ever made a decent batch of 30-minute cheese:  I never did.   But I got so pissed-off at my failures that by early February I ordered a copy of Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking , read it through and through and the rest, as they say is history.   8)

Ha! One of the best defenses of the 30-minute mozzarella that I've ever seen! :)

I have to say that some folks seem to be able to pull this off, time after time. I, however, am not one of them, with this or the traditional moz recipe! I have gotten close a couple of times ... but nothing like what they show in that recipe link. :)
-- Andy

atalanta

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 05:09:46 PM »
I followed that recipe twice. The first time it turned out perfectly and then I made ricotta from the whey. Lulled me into a false sense of pride because it was my first try at cheese making (I bought the NE Cheese kit but the reviews on Amazon said to ditch the directions). The second time, not so good. I ended up with no mozz but a fantastic batch of ricotta.

First batch - raw milk, pre-boiled water for the rennet tablet piece, left it alone.
Second batch - local pasteurized homogenized whole milk, used tap water, over-stirred.

The local milk was from Halo farm in Trenton, NJ. The raw milk was from Your Family Cow in Chambersberg, PA (they deliver to Eastern PA).

I figure I'll try a second Halo Farm batch to see if it indeed was the water and over-stirring. Their website says they do low temperature pasteurization which is why I picked them rather than the local ShopRite (and cheap - under $3 a gallon).

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2016, 09:34:17 PM »
Atalanta,

In my response to another post, I missed the fact that you used raw milk for the first (successful) mozz and P&H milk for the second (unsuccessful) one. Raw milk makes a HUGE difference. HUGE. Really, really big. Did I mention that it is BIG???

This is not to say that good cheese cannot be made from store-bought P&H milk -- with one very expensive exception, I have only made cheese with the P&H - around 70 cheeses thus far, most of which have turned out very well (though not always exactly as intended!). Brands do matter - some brands of P&H milk work better than others. But when using even the best P&H milk, you will never get the lovely strong curds that you get with raw milk.

All that said, as was discussed in your other thread, the 30-minute approach is always more than a bit iffy even with raw milk, from what I can tell from the testimonials on this forum. Using P&H milk, I've only had one semi-success using the 30-minute recipe and P&H milk. I've come closer to success using a traditional cultured approach.
-- Andy

KazAugustin

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 01:52:32 PM »
It's the homogenisation, @scootjeezy. You can't make a stretched-curd cheese (mozzarella, provolone, etc.) with homogenised milk. I know, I failed about half-a-dozen times. (Yep, they all turned out crumbly. Very bad for the ego.) It has to be non-homogenised. That's me out of the mozza game until I can find a proper source. I suggest trying some blues while you wait. Very exciting! :)