Author Topic: Hmm interesting - I guess I made a Gouda Swiss!  (Read 1774 times)

chilipepper

Hmm interesting - I guess I made a Gouda Swiss!
« on: May 29, 2009, 10:21:45 PM »
Well I built this batch on March 21, 2008.  It ended up coming out pretty much right to the numbers.  While I was drying it before waxing it really seem to pull in and dry giving it 'somewhat' of a barrel shape.  No biggie I thought and  waxed it and have been ageing it.  You know when you look at it every day it is a bit hard to notice subtle changes.  Well it ended up being pretty barrel shaped and then finally it ended up popping off the top was one day.  So I figured it must be still drying to much and cracking or something so I figured I cut it open since it was 3 months and start at it or vacuum seal it.

Well to my surprise, it had holes like a baby swiss.  Besides that it tasted absolutely fabulous.  So now it begs me to ask... is the Proprionibacteria a naturally occurring bacteria??  What are the possible sources?  This was made with raw milk so maybe something there.  I've done a bit of poking around but have not really found anything too conclusive so I thought I'd pick your brains!

Thanks,
Ryan

zenith1

Re: Hmm interesting - I guess I made a Gouda Swiss!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 11:41:10 PM »
whatever you want to call that cheese, the virtual aroma is great! Have a look at this web site for your bug. http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Propionibacterium

wharris

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 12:37:48 AM »
Looks great.  Where did you get the labels?

thegregger

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2009, 02:01:58 AM »
Coliform bacteria is pretty common, and would produce the type of holes you have in this cheese.  Prop. Shermani is also naturally occurring in milk, too.

Greg

chilipepper

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2009, 02:15:12 PM »
zenith, thanks for the read.  I definately have to read up on the Caliform and Shermani too to see what might have caused it.  I really really like this cheese though.  I just hope that somehow I can duplicate it.  I guess that will call for a little research.

Wayne, I made the labels one day when I was tired of writing on a scrap of paper and waxing it on my cheese.  This looks a little bit more appealing! :) 

Ryan