Author Topic: Any advice on making mini-Taleggios (i.e. traditional mold + divider)?  (Read 1663 times)

KindofBleu

I used the search function – one observation I thought was useful is that a single divider only reaches half-way down the mold, so the best approach is to pretend that you’re making a regular taleggio, then when you’re ready to brine, use the divider to cut the whole block of cheese (which will have settled down to correct height by end of draining period). Haven’t gotten my mold yet (should be here end of next week), so this is still on the level of theorycrafting for me, but it makes sense.

What else is there to consider? Lower brining time? My only experience thus far has been dry-salting cams, and the one time I tried to brine a feta, well, let's just say things went wrong.

Will the cheese age faster? Considerably so? Anything else?

P.S. The milk I'm using is 4.8% but I also have access to 6.3% -- would the higher percentage milk be a better fit for the taleggio?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
I too wanted to make four smaller Taleggio cheeses but was surprised and disappointed that the mould divider was half-sized. Check this for a solution I embarked upon. I haven't started a make with this yet but expect to soon.

Here's an earlier effort to craft smaller Taleggio cheeses. With the brick mould or the lucite divider in the Taleggio mould the difficulty is in trying to keep the cheeses flat and not have them try to flip on their ends when you go to flip them in the mould. With a very soft cheese, that's a buzzkill. :( >:(

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 02:27:03 AM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

KindofBleu

I’m only a month and a half into this whole cheese making hobby, so even flipping cams is not exactly an easy thing for me, plus, you know – two left hands  :'(

Those lexan dividers look good – not sure I’d be able to cut the lexan with a dremel, and I don’t have a rotary saw, but it sure looks like a good replacement for the regular divider.

I’m curious about the steel mold you’re using in that second link (the thread from 2011). Do you remember where you got that mold? I’d love to make a brick cheese one of these days. Mind you, I *am* trying to keep spending to something reasonable for now, so would probably prefer a plastic alternative  ;D

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Sorry, didn't see your posting.

Here's where I got the S.S. brick mould @ $25:

ullmers-dairyequipment

Some folks have crafted a mould using wood, while others have used an oblong plastic storage box, both with holes drilled all around for drainage.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

KindofBleu

Here's where I got the S.S. brick mould @ $25

Nice, and rather cheap, actually!

I ended up making my first taleggio without bothering with the divider, as is, au naturel, huge and brick-y. I have a sneaking  suspicion I drained it for too long -- I don't have a ph meter, but my taste test seemed to suggest it got a little low. It's in the cave now, looking all self-important. Let's see how it goes  :-\

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
Where are the pics? :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!