Author Topic: Hello from new cheese maker in Traverse City, MI  (Read 4665 times)

Sue

Hello from new cheese maker in Traverse City, MI
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:11:06 AM »
Good evening. I've been reading your forum for a few days now and am thrilled that I found you. It looks like there is a wealth of information here! I am pretty new to cheese making. I have made mozzarella, Queso Blanco, Chevre, and Fromage Blanc. All were OK, but I really enjoy pressed cheeses more. I have also made farmhouse cheddar twice (once successfully, once bombed - don't know what I did), traditional cheddar (aging, but don't think it worked out), Colby (still aging), Manchego (delicious), and a Parmesan  (aging). I really want to make some Gouda, smoked Gouda would be even better! I have a new SS pot coming on Tuesday, and can't wait to make more! The more I learn, the more I realize I have so much more to learn!

I live in Traverse City with my husband and kids. I work as an RN at out local hospital. Another hobby I have is roasting coffee, which I have been doing for about 7 years. I love trying all the origins I can, I'm currently drinking a cup from Bali, enjoying it with some fresh baked bread and delicious Manchego cheese that I made. It was aged for 6 weeks, couldn't wait any longer!

Thank you for all the help you've given me so far. I look forward to learning more, and hopefully being able to give back to the forum as well.

Sue

BobnCathy

Re: Hello from new cheese maker in Traverse City, MI
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 01:19:28 AM »
Welcome aboard!  Sounds like you're having a great old time with your cheeses! 

zenith1

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 01:51:06 AM »
Welcome Sue- it sounds like you are well on your way  with the cheese process. One of my favorites is also Manchego! Good luck

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:52:15 AM »
Welcome Sue in Michigan to this forum, love the smell of roasting coffee, do you do it in your house and does it permanetly smell your house?

Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 05:45:54 AM »
Thanks for the welcomes! I do roast coffee in the house, but usually just small batches - 1/2 pound or smaller. We have a larger roaster that we use outside or in the garage in Dec/Jan/Feb. The aroma is wonderful but no, it doesn't last! My son has taken over my larger roaster (can roast 5 pounds at a time) and has started a web-based business selling craft roasted coffee. It's kind of nice because it's helping him pay for college and keeps me in freshly roasted coffee!

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 01:08:41 AM »
Thanks Sue, well that is a nice hobby/job for your son. I had a friend in High School in Vancouver, worked out of his dad's garage making stained glass lamps, went to college 1 year of Commerce, quit, wored in two stained glass manufacturers, quit started out on his own, became the largest stained glass manufacturer in USA-Canada with shops in China before he sold out to Sauder Doors. So you never know where your son's business could lead!

Quick question from my wife (a big coffee drinker), where do you but green unroasetd beans (we live in Houston TX)? Thx, J.

Zinger

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 02:06:51 AM »
Welcome, it's great to have another Michigander on the Forum. I am from the Grand Rapids area, but spend most weekends at our farm house in Omena/Northport. You'll enjoy and learn a lot on this forum.

Sue

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 03:03:24 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the encouragement with my son's business. I have to say I'm pretty proud of how he is doing with it and maintaining honors in college. 

I would recommend ordering green beans through a wonderful place called Sweet Marias. You can find it on the web. The absolute best green bean supplier of specialty grade coffee I've ever tried. My son still gets his coffee from them!

Seems like a wonderful group here! I just got a new stainless pot today, and am waiting on some new cultures to arrive Thursday. I was previously limited to 2 gallon batches. I only went up to a 20 quart pot, all the budget would allow right now!

Sue

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 03:07:39 AM »
Thanks for welcome Zinger! You are in a beautiful area up here. I love Leelanau county. We are townies! Live right in the city in the old Central Neighborhood. I really like the walkability of where we are at - close to the beach, close to work, close to the schools. I do miss the country though. Sounds like there are quite a few of us from Michigan here!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 03:38:33 AM »
Welcome Sue. There's so many cheese to make and try this could take a lifetime!

Cheese Head

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2009, 10:43:34 PM »
Thx Sue, I'll check it out.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 12:42:15 AM »
Welcome. I hate coffee  ;D but I love coffee flavored ice cream, milk shakes and the like, weird huh? Anyway, cheese rules.

John, I bet your stained glass friend can't wait for a high school reunion?

Cheese Head

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 12:19:47 AM »
Carter, surprisingly I don't think so, other reasons.

jillyphish

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:52:14 AM »
Hi Sue -

I am originally from Evart, Michigan - and adore the TC area.   I still visit home about twice a year.  TC is one of my retirement considerations.

Welcome to the board!

Jill