Author Topic: Hi-dee-ho!  (Read 2211 times)

Caise-bodach

Hi-dee-ho!
« on: June 01, 2009, 02:40:56 AM »
Hello everybody.  I live in N. Idaho, USA (hence the subject pun), and have recently joined the forum after lurking around for a while.  I made my first cheese in 1969, and have sporadically made some ever since.  Finally decided to quit playing-around and be serious (maybe even start a business, who knows), hence my presence here.  Looking forward to sharing with everyone -- and picking brains.  Current cheese interests are: bandaged-cheddar, alpine-family, blue-molded, and grana type...maybe brie/camembert at some point and I've got a contact who wants LOTS of mozz. but I've never enjoyed that process.  I'm a committed DIY'er (wife says I should just be committed!), so heads-up Cartier!  Expect to be making 5 - 10 gallon batches at a time of whatever.  Have access to raw and pasteurized, grass-fed milk.  Don't know what else to say, so...

MrsKK

Re: Hi-dee-ho!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:35:11 AM »
Welcome!  I make cheese in 5 gallon batches - have my own cow who is currently producing 3 gallons a day, so could potentially be making cheese every 2 days, but just don't have the time for that much.

I look forward to hearing more about the cheeses you make.  Especially about bandaged cheddar.  What differences do you notice with ageing/taste/texture with the bandaged vs waxed?

chilipepper

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:57:40 PM »
Old Man, glad to have you hear and look forward to hearing your experiences.  I think there are quite a few of us that have toyed with the idea of taking our cheesemaking to the next level.  It will be good to hear of your experiences.

Welcome!
Ryan

Cheese Head

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 12:54:56 AM »
Howdy Old Man, congrats on all the cheese making, especially since 1969! Making me feel young as I was only 10 then!

Looking forward to your advice!

Caise-bodach

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 01:52:26 AM »
 Hi guys, thanks for the "welcomes"
Yeah, I've been at it for a number of years, but not constantly.  I guess if I added it all up into one lump it might be eight or nine years total...so I consider myself still to be a newbie.   John: now you know why I have the name I have...lol.  I'll be glad to share any info I might have.
OMCz

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 01:11:29 AM »
OMCz, so for everyone here, how old are you?

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 03:40:54 AM »
Welcome OMCz - great bunch here with lots to share!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »
I missed this post Welcome OMCz. Grandpa Simpson rules.

Caise-bodach

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 06:22:18 AM »
Sorry to be so slow in getting back to this...uhhhh let's see John, (pulling out driver's-license) it says here that I must be 56 this year.