Author Topic: Can you help me to make the right Akawi cheese for deserts?  (Read 2447 times)

louai

Can you help me to make the right Akawi cheese for deserts?
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:14:38 PM »

Hello everyone,

I am new on this nice forum and hope having nice time on it.

Does somebody know something about the middle east Akawi cheese? i have making it by following youtube video's but the results is not stretchy en melty when warmed.

Do you know the correct way please?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Can you help me to make the right Akawi cheese for deserts?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 09:09:26 PM »
I am not famlliar with Akawi, but in general, if the cheese needs to melt/stretch, it needs to be at a certain optimal acidity, usually a pH of around 5.3.

Welcome to the forum!
-- Andy

louai

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:17:13 AM »
I am not famlliar with Akawi, but in general, if the cheese needs to melt/stretch, it needs to be at a certain optimal acidity, usually a pH of around 5.3.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you very much, have you please a tutorial video for the pH 5.3?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 03:48:11 PM »
Louai, the easiest way to check the pH is with a pH meter -- but perhaps you can do it the old-fashioned way that mozzarella is made, monitoring the curds by eye and nose as they continue to ripen, and when they begin to smell acidic (hard to describe, but quite distinct), checking a little bit of curd in hot water to see if it will stretch. If it does, you are right at the target pH. Sorry, I don't have a video ... but there might be one somewhere on the internet.
-- Andy

louai

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 10:22:34 AM »
Louai, the easiest way to check the pH is with a pH meter -- but perhaps you can do it the old-fashioned way that mozzarella is made, monitoring the curds by eye and nose as they continue to ripen, and when they begin to smell acidic (hard to describe, but quite distinct), checking a little bit of curd in hot water to see if it will stretch. If it does, you are right at the target pH. Sorry, I don't have a video ... but there might be one somewhere on the internet.

I have the idea now, very well explained!,

Oke i gonna try it today and hope get it right and will let you know!

Thanks for now