Author Topic: Hello from America's Salad Bowl (Salinas CA)  (Read 630 times)

trentmark

Hello from America's Salad Bowl (Salinas CA)
« on: March 24, 2016, 03:34:26 PM »
I'm hooked! Made my first cheese this past weekend. Thanks for all the great info from this forum and the Wiki. Also thanks to Gianaclis Caldwell for her well written book, "Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking". For my first cheese I selected Caldwell's recipe for a Basic Tomme-Style Cheese (see image below). While this was my first experience in cheesemaking, I grew up on a farm in rural SE Oklahoma where we grew and processed most of our food including cultured butter and buttermilk. My daily chore was milking and weekly butter making. So I have experience in clabbering milk. In addition I'm a avid homebrewer and have won many awards, even at the national level. So I'm familiar with fermentation. Due to my background in plant pathology and work as a researcher and food safety manager, I'm able to isolate and maintain a brewer's yeast collection that includes number of strains of Saccharomyces cerevisiae and Brettanomyces bruxellensis. Very interested in learning more about cheesemaking cultures. I have some questions about salt, brining, and the use of yeast in cheesemaking. I will try to post those on the appropriate board.       

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hello from America's Salad Bowl (Salinas CA)
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 03:42:58 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  That's a beautiful cheese! AC4U!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

Re: Hello from America's Salad Bowl (Salinas CA)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 06:16:24 PM »
Indeed!  Welcome to the Forum.