Author Topic: Another West Michigander here!  (Read 1740 times)

wendyGR

Another West Michigander here!
« on: June 01, 2009, 08:55:45 PM »
Hi everyone! Great to see other West Michiganders here.

I've had a cow herdshare for about a year now and have just decided to get into aged cheeses. Over the past year I've primarily been making yogurt, fromage blanc, mozzarella, riccotta (the ricotta mostly as a result of not making the mozzarella correctly LOL).

I just made cottage cheese over the weekend and have two batches of farmhouse cheddar aging. I hope to learn more from everyone. A little nervous about making aged cheese, not sure why. My husband brews beer and is very into the science of it, so it's fun to compare notes.

Oh and to the Traverse City folk - we LOVE TC wines! We haven't gotten into wine making yet, mostly because it's much easier to make beer and there is so much good wine already out there.

zenith1

Re: Another West Michigander here!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 11:46:47 PM »
Welcome to the forum Wendy. You have probably started your voyage into the world of cheese making in the correct manner. That is to start with the soft cheeses. They are easier to make, require less equipment, and you are rewarded with the finished product that you can savor in very little time. I know that you have gotten the bug and want to try a bunch of different things, but the best way is to pick one type of cheese and perfect that before moving on. Start simple with something like a farmhouse or stirred curd cheddar. Keep good notes so you know when you have done something well, and when you haven't. Most importantly have fun and amaze your friends with your passion! Good luck..... :)

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 12:57:52 AM »
Howdy Wendy and welcome to the forum, what is it about Michiganers and cheese, lots of you here on this forum!

Have fun making cheese, so far compared to Camembert, I've found aged hard cheeses way easier to make, but that's just me :-\!

Zinger

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:08:31 AM »
Welcome to another west Michigander, hope you enjoy the forum as much as I do.

Sue

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 03:13:17 AM »
Welcome! I just joined a few days ago and already have learned so much. A cow share sounds great, I need to look around and find a good source for milk - something a little fresher than Meijers :)

There are some very good wines from this region. I have been trying to avoid getting into wine making, just because our home is already filled with coffee roasting stuff and now cheese making supplies. My husband is thinking of trying his hand at making beer as well. We are a real hobby house I guess!

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:36:36 AM »
Welcome aboard Wendy!

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 12:50:29 AM »
Another one of you...michiganers (sp?) you people join boards like rabbits. The humor didn't work in this post but I'm too lazy to retype it. Anyway, welcome.

BobnCathy

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »
hey..another West Michigander!!! Welcome aboard and enjoy!!  Lots of great info and personalities here!!  We're new to cheese, but have both been making beer and wine for a few years now.

farmerbz

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 05:47:11 AM »
hey, I am from Michgian too (albeit haven't lived there since 1981...still in my heart though!)  I am making a tour of Michigan in November (after my goats stop milking) any ideas or cheese farmers I should meet up with?