Author Topic: First Ricotta (half frozen whey half milk)  (Read 3906 times)

KindofBleu

First Ricotta (half frozen whey half milk)
« on: March 26, 2016, 07:01:51 PM »
Just made my first semi-proper Ricotta -- turned out well. I used about a gallon and a half of various batches of whey from the last month of cheese making, plus a gallon of cheap store-bought milk, plus a bit of cream. Essentially, Mary Karlin's recipe, but I more than doubled the amount of vinegar, since her instructions didn't seem to jive with most other recipes I had looked up, and I salted the milk/whey right in the pot.

Also -- I used frozen whey -- I'd heard different things about the viability of frozen whey and wanted to see if it works for Ricotta. Also, the frozen whey was from raw milk makes, and the milk was regular store-bought (P&H).

Some whey poured off, ladling curds into form.

This is after about an hour of draining, about to be put in the fridge. The yield is a bit over 900g.

It's a shame I'm on a silly low-carb diet, otherwise I'd be making ricotta pancakes tomorrow morning :)

john H

Re: First Ricotta (half frozen whey half milk)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 01:26:53 AM »
Nice job kindofblue, I usually use my ricotta in making lasagna or cannoli and the dogs love the left over whey over their dry kibble.

John

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 02:43:57 AM »
Make layered eggplant with ricotta and parmigianna, low carb and yummy.

KindofBleu

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 02:59:25 PM »
Had it for breakfast as is + fruit -- damn delicious, as good as the fresh stuff the local cheese shop sells for something like $6 a pint. Makes me wish I had been keeping more of the whey, but I was constantly running out of freezer space.