Author Topic: advice for a noob?  (Read 4992 times)

RedDawn

Re: advice for a noob?
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 02:58:50 PM »
OK, pictures.  :D

After the first 12 hour pressing, a little lumpy.

After the 2nd 12 hour pressing, nicely formed.

And a nice bowl of ricotta.  I didn't let it dry as much this time, and added salt, and it came out really really nice.  I made spinach raviolis with it.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 03:30:19 PM »
If we may help...looks like it needs a bit more of "top-down" pressing...as in.. did it even have a top follower?  :o  describe please how you pressed it?

RedDawn

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 06:46:03 PM »
Wrapped the curd in cloth and put it in the basket.  Put a small plate on top, followed by a larger plate which held weights.  As time went on and the cheese got flatter I had to add more small plates so the large one didn't rest on the lip of the mold.

I think that initial lumpiness was the cloth bunched up around the curds.  The final result is quite flat on both sides.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2016, 03:34:26 AM »
Very good... If I may suggest ... Draw a single layer of cheesecloth over the top of the cheese... Smooth with the surface. If necessary draw the opposite side same way ... Smooth single layer over the top... The rest of the cheesecloth can be gathered above the follower (plate in your case) or off to the sides...... But not in the way of the weights or press. Sorry if I confused you with my description...lol... Will leave a smoother top.
Your original proposed cheddar (had it come to be) would have required quite a bit of pressure to stitch the curd together. You will eventually need a press or some well balanced weights on top of a follower to your mould. I noticed you are using a basket style mould. I know they are getting quite good with mould material strength, but your basket may not hold up to the psi required for a cheddar. Just a friendly FYI . :)

valley ranch

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 07:32:34 PM »
RedDawn, Can we have an update on that cheese. Have a great day.

Richard

RedDawn

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2016, 08:51:27 PM »
Here they are in the spare fridge.  I've been turning them every week or two. Don't see any discoloration, cracks or bulging.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2016, 02:55:13 PM »
Is that ....like... Two cheeses in one wax shell ? How is that even possible!? ..lol... you've got skills man :)

RedDawn

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2016, 02:38:46 AM »
LOL!  No, just one on top of the other.  I don't have a lot of room to spread them out. :)

RedDawn

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 06:23:28 PM »
Here's an update. We cut the cheese last night. (Insert joke here).

It's 9 month old. It looked good.

I took one half to a potluck with two other cheeses, a purchased brie with truffles and a purchased cambozola, and put out a nice cheese board.  Everyone who tried it said it was good.

The texture is firm, but crumbly when you cut into it, and sooo creamy once it gets into your mouth. It doesn't slice well. The flavor is definitely aged cheddar, kind of mild, without that sharp metallic taste some aged cheddar have.  IMO it could have used more salt.

The kicker for me though, as we were preparing to leave and I wrapped up the leftovers one of my friends came over and picked up the cheddar and jokingly said "I'll just take this home with me". I said "sure", and as he turned away another friend said "Hey I get half of that, host's privilege!"   ;D

Now I'm interested in opening the 6mo old cheddar to see how it compares.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:31 PM »
Sounds like you got great results - AC4U!
-- Andy

Offline Danbo

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 116
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 06:42:02 AM »
I agree with Fritz regarding the single layer of cheese cloth at the follower...

In this post you can watch a short video of how I pack my moulds:

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,13884.msg105747.html#msg105747

:-) Danbo