Author Topic: Something's wrong with my camembert.  (Read 2687 times)

AnnDee

Something's wrong with my camembert.
« on: March 27, 2016, 04:04:28 AM »
I made a batch of camemberts 4 weeks back using malembert recipe and lightly pasteurised milk.
After I ladled the curds to the hoops, I let them drain and left them for a couple hours (couple turned to 3-4 hours) to run errand outside the house. I came back and found the hoops (and cheese) were under the whey.
And now my camemberts are looking like this (attached photos). Do you think this is because I left them drown under the whey? Or because I put too much geo?
They are still quite firm but smells a bit funky, I wrapped 4 of them and 2 have become pinkish from b linens.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Something's wrong with my camembert.
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 06:06:16 AM »
How much whey are we talking about and didn't you have them on a rack above the whey? :o

I can imagine the zombies trying to steal your wonderfully brain-like cam. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 06:56:57 AM »
The whey was about an inch above the cheese. And yes  they were on draining rack but I was in a rush therefore failed to realise that the rack wasn't high enough.
Does this mean this cheese is over acidified or something?

I have 'brainy bunch' of cams.  ;D

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 07:37:43 AM »
Interesting cheeses! Looks like plenty of Geo and no PC.
No idea what effect the immersion in whey would have had but they could be good cheeses anyway (anywhey?).
I will be interested to hear how they turn out.
- Andrew

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 04:06:22 PM »
Looks like the geo took over.  They'll have great paste but be smelly.  Kind of like a Epoisse. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

AnnDee

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:38:39 PM »
Will keep you all posted on the report when I crack open these mutants.

Al, those are pretty great looking cheese! I hope mine won't be too stinky as I am a little squimish on smelly things (socks in particular, but cheese too of course).

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 03:05:19 AM »
The whey was about an inch above the cheese. And yes  they were on draining rack but I was in a rush therefore failed to realise that the rack wasn't high enough.
:o Wow! :o

Were you brining your cams?  ???  Can't imagine how else there'd be so much whey.

My fingers get all puckered & wrinkled, like your cheeses, if I stay in the shower too long.  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

AnnDee

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 03:11:30 AM »
I made a batch of 3 gallons of milk and 1 quart of cream and drain most of them in a large food pan/vat, so there was a lot of whey. So you are right, I might as well brine them.  :D
But I dry salted them the next day and after only 3 days, the wrinkle started to grow strong.
Anyway, now they are in my cooler box on the way to the airport, I'm taking them on my holiday.  ;D

olikli

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:19:58 PM »
So effectively your camembert has turned into a some kind of munster. Epoisses would require a lactic curd. I am sure it will taste wonderful, albeit different than expected ;)

AnnDee

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 02:07:08 AM »
Progress on the whey soaked brainy cams as we cut and tasted 1 yesterday.
It is a little stinky, the rind is thin, moist and delicate so I have been carefull while flipping them everyday.
I thought the rind will have strong taste to it but surprisingly not at all, just a little bit stinky that's all.
The paste is creamy, a bit more salty than previous cams but everyone in the house prefers this, mushroomy and just yummy. No bitterness at all, I think I finally did the malembert recipe properly. Also no ammonia, another smellyness but not ammonia.

Now I just wish I know how to replicate this one.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 08:47:13 AM »
What a fantastic looking cheese!
It may not be what you expected at the start but I am not surprised that you want to repeat it.
Just keep trying and see what turns up on the way.
Oh, and a cheese for a delicious looking outcome.
- Andrew

AnnDee

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 02:41:33 PM »
Thank you Andrew.
It really wasn't what I expected, especially I made the batch as gifts (I had to make another batch as I thought this one was doomed)...nevertheless the family and I liked it. I might intentionally submerge the cheese curd next time  ;D in order to replicate this one.