Author Topic: Parmesan recipe preferences  (Read 1590 times)

ksk2175

Parmesan recipe preferences
« on: April 09, 2016, 03:24:23 PM »
There seems to be quite a difference between The recipes for Parmesan that I've read in a few books and sites. For those of you who have tried them, is there a preferred leaning towards one or the other?  I am leaning towards Jims recipe but he has that 2 day period before brining whereas others brine a lot earlier. Is it just a case of watching the PH and brining once I hit 5.4 or so?

rharwellnc

Re: Parmesan recipe preferences
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:41:37 PM »
I saw your post while looking for Parmesan cheese's pH values at various stages.  What recipe did you end up using?  Did it have goal pH values?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
Re: Parmesan recipe preferences
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 01:30:07 PM »
Ken, I must have missed this post when you made it. The first and second parmas I made were by time, using Rikki Carroll's recipe. I don't believe they spent two days before brining, but don't recall the exact amount of time - this was early on, and I was not keeping very good records at that point. The second one is now 2+ years old, and starting to get very, very good. So going by time can yield good results. :)

That said ... I would wonder if the proper procedure is to take it out at the 5.4 ph point and brine it. Maybe this will jog someone else with more data to answer ...
-- Andy