Author Topic: First cheese - good or bad mould?  (Read 913 times)

Offline andrewh

  • New Cheese
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
First cheese - good or bad mould?
« on: June 03, 2009, 09:15:29 AM »
This is my first attempt - a hard cheese, bandaged and matured in the fridge for the last week and a half, turned every day.

You can just see some blue mould forming on one side, which I presume is OK, but there is an ominous black blob underneath the cloth on the other side. Is this anything to worry about?


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.


Offline Wayne Harris

  • Wine and Cheesemaker
  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Posts: 1,938
  • Cheeses: 53
  • Wayne Harris
Re: First cheese - good or bad mould?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:46:42 PM »
I would not worry too much about the mould hurting your cheese.
But it might not be so good for your refrigerator's other inhabitants.

Your refridgerator, btw, is probably a tad too cold for proper cheese aging.  Do you use a custom/external thermostat?
Wayne A. Harris - in vino veritas

Offline Cartierusm

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,864
  • Cheeses: 17
Re: First cheese - good or bad mould?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 08:21:53 PM »
I hate to contradict a fellow traveller, wayne, but black mold is not good. I would wipe it off with vinegar or salt water.

Do some reading here, as Wayne suggested, a regular frig is bad for aging cheese, too cold and no humidity.
Life is like a box of chocolates sometimes too much rennet makes you kill people.

Offline Wayne Harris

  • Wine and Cheesemaker
  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Location: Cleveland, Ohio
  • Posts: 1,938
  • Cheeses: 53
  • Wayne Harris
Re: First cheese - good or bad mould?
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
Oh,  I forgot about the BLACK mold.  Yeah, that's not so good. Carter is right.



However,  i had some of that on my cheese and I cut it off and all was well.

Wayne A. Harris - in vino veritas

Offline andrewh

  • New Cheese
  • *
  • Posts: 2
  • Cheeses: 0
  • Default personal text
Re: First cheese - good or bad mould?
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:40:36 AM »
I hate to contradict a fellow traveller, wayne, but black mold is not good. I would wipe it off with vinegar or salt water.

Do some reading here, as Wayne suggested, a regular frig is bad for aging cheese, too cold and no humidity.

I only have the one fridge, and it's way too hot outside of the fridge at the moment. I will cut it out and see what happens.


Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.


Offline Cartierusm

  • Old Cheese
  • *****
  • Posts: 1,864
  • Cheeses: 17
Re: First cheese - good or bad mould?
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:40:56 PM »
If that's your only option, then too cold is better than too hot, but make sure it's in an air tight container to keep in the moisture. Also make sure to open it once a day to exchange the air so you don't get mold.
Life is like a box of chocolates sometimes too much rennet makes you kill people.