Author Topic: First cheese - good or bad mould?  (Read 1871 times)

andrewh

First cheese - good or bad mould?
« on: June 03, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
This is my first attempt - a hard cheese, bandaged and matured in the fridge for the last week and a half, turned every day.

You can just see some blue mould forming on one side, which I presume is OK, but there is an ominous black blob underneath the cloth on the other side. Is this anything to worry about?

wharris

Re: First cheese - good or bad mould?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
I would not worry too much about the mould hurting your cheese.
But it might not be so good for your refrigerator's other inhabitants.

Your refridgerator, btw, is probably a tad too cold for proper cheese aging.  Do you use a custom/external thermostat?

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »
I hate to contradict a fellow traveller, wayne, but black mold is not good. I would wipe it off with vinegar or salt water.

Do some reading here, as Wayne suggested, a regular frig is bad for aging cheese, too cold and no humidity.

wharris

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 01:31:32 AM »
Oh,  I forgot about the BLACK mold.  Yeah, that's not so good. Carter is right.

However,  i had some of that on my cheese and I cut it off and all was well.

andrewh

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 08:40:36 AM »
I hate to contradict a fellow traveller, wayne, but black mold is not good. I would wipe it off with vinegar or salt water.

Do some reading here, as Wayne suggested, a regular frig is bad for aging cheese, too cold and no humidity.

I only have the one fridge, and it's way too hot outside of the fridge at the moment. I will cut it out and see what happens.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
If that's your only option, then too cold is better than too hot, but make sure it's in an air tight container to keep in the moisture. Also make sure to open it once a day to exchange the air so you don't get mold.