Author Topic: Bulgarian feta using kefir  (Read 1370 times)

olikli

Bulgarian feta using kefir
« on: April 09, 2016, 06:47:26 PM »
This was born out of an emergency, so to speak. I had bought 3 litres of milk for making a small batch of cheese without considering the fact that I would be going onto a one week business trip only a few days after that. This of course would have meant that I would not be able to look after the young cheeese in the early stage of ripening.

So I decided to make feta because you can forget about if after puting it into the brine. The thing is that I have never been a big fan of Greek feta at all. But one type I haven't tried yet is Bulgarian feta which uses lactic or semi-lactic curds instead of the standard rennet curds used for Greek feta.

So essentially I made a batch of six fresh cow milk crottins with a 24 hour semi-lactic set using kefir with the curds ladled straight into the moulds. Drained for one day and air dried for another day at room temperature. Then the cheeses were put into a bowl and topped up with 7% brine, weighed down with a small plate, covered  and placed in the fridge.

I tried the first cheese after two weeks and was positively surprised by the taste. Currently it's three weeks in and I have just cut the second one which is even better. I think I will remove one chees per week to see effect of maturation.