Author Topic: My first successful blue, a "whisky washed natural rind camobzola"  (Read 1691 times)

olikli

I have tried to make a soft blue cheese before but did not manage to get proper blue veins inside. I did not do anything seriously different, but this time it worked.

I did not follow a recipe since I was using my trusty kefir culture as usual and my homemade PR culture on dried sourdough bread. To encourage blue vein formation I tried to make the curds small and fairly firm but without any pressing in order to prevent the curds knitting together tightly. I heated the to 37 C, rennet set for 90 minutes, cut to 1 cm and cooked at 37 C again for 30 minutes.

I made my usual 3 litre batch. I do not have a cheese moould with good proportions for this cheese size, so I ladled the curds into two 10 cm moulds and combined them into one after they had drained enough, around 2 hours in. This worked perfectly. Total draining time was 24 hours, then the cheese was dry salted to 2.5% and dried at room temperature until dry to the touch which took around 36 hours before being placed in the cheese fridge

After a week I pierced the cheese and began washing it with a light brine enriched with Lagavulin Scotch whisky because this pairs excellently with blue cheese. After two weeks of washing every other day I stopped and pierced again. The cheese first developped a light PC coating which was then overgrown by more PR. 3 weeks later I wrapped it in cheese paper. I has begun to soften, so I cut it a few days ago.

The strong rind gives it a bit of a funky tang but inside it is very nice. Unfortunately the whisky does not really come though in the taste. The moulds are just too powerful. Maybe I'll try washing for 4 weeks the next time.

Kern

Re: My first successful blue, a "whisky washed natural rind camobzola"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 12:04:24 AM »
Really great looking, though.  Have a cheese on me.  ;D

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:30:53 AM »
A lovely creamy looking blue and an interesting rind.
A cheese to you for trying something different.
If you can't taste anything from the whisky, I'd be tempted to wash with weak brine and drink the whisky.
- Andrew

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:41:57 AM »
This looks good! How do you make the homemade PR? Is it the sourdough bread left to be mouldy? AC4U

olikli

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 05:56:06 AM »
This looks good! How do you make the homemade PR? Is it the sourdough bread left to be mouldy? AC4U

It's really easy but takes a few weeks. Simply spread a tiny amount of roquefort on a slice of sourdough bread, put it into a closed plastic box and store at room temperature. The PR loves a slightly acidic environment and will conquer the bread in two weeks or so. turn the slice in between. Then open the lid and let the bread dry completely. You can then break it into tiny pieces and store it in a mason jar. To use it just soak a piece in a little milk for a few hours and then smash it with a spoon or even in a mortar.

The advantage is that you get your culture essentially for free and it keeps fr ages. You only need a tiny amount each time, so you will not run out very soon. Also in principle you can choose exactly what strain to use by selecting the according cheese. Of course you could cultivate multiple strains just as easily.

The downside of course is that dosing is inconsistent. A 5 mm piece should be sufficient for a gallon of milk but to get reproducible results you'd need to weigh and do some experitimental batches first.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 02:51:10 PM »
I have made a lot of blue's (well maybe not a lot ::)) but haven't tried to make my own P/R.
As you say it only takes a small amount per cheese, I have plenty in the freezer for years to come
You do deserve a cheese for your ingenuity and your blue cheese 8) so have another from me
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 03:43:58 PM »
That is one blue piece of toast!
Thank you for the explaination, I am gathering informations on how to make cheese with everyday ingredients so I can teach some eager ladies in my home country who do not have access to manufactured cultures and other ingredients.
I have taught some of them to use kefir and yoghurt as meso and thermo cultures with good results. :)