Author Topic: Hello from Atlanta Georgia  (Read 1302 times)

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
Hello from Atlanta Georgia
« on: April 09, 2016, 09:27:06 PM »
Hello!

My name is theresa and I am a newbie cheese maker. A bit about me: I am a P.h.D candidate at Georgia State University in Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S. I study chemistry and I specialize in organic/medicinal chemistry. I have a deep interest in sustainability and I am currently on a personal journey to reduce the amount of trash I produce and buy locally where I can.

...however, as a student, I don't make a lot of money, so a lot of this journey so far has been making my own cleaning products, and making my own cosmetics which are easy on my bank account. Limiting or eliminating plastic in my life is a goal I'd like to reach, but I eat cheese and I eat meat and there's no place that I know of near me where I can buy package free or plastic free without hurting my wallet. So, just like my cleaning products and cosmetic/hygiene products, I decided to figure out how to make my own and started reading about cheese making. I looked through several blogs, websites and found a few books but my favorite book so far has been 'On Food and Cooking' by Harold McGee (because I'm a science nerd). While reading about cheese making, I went pretty far down the rabbit hole to the point where I was on the hunt for an old dorm fridge or wine cooler.

A few months ago I found an old wine cooler that someone was throwing out that still worked and brought it home. After that, there was very little to stop me from making cheese, I saved up to buy a press, some cultures and a few other tools. I made my first cheese three weeks ago and my second one I made last weekend. I decided to start with a Cotswold (grew up in Europe and it was my favourite growing up). I decided to make the same cheese over and over for a little while so I can get a feel for the technique. I've also been taking notes as I make it so I can compare and tweak where needed. I'll probably make one more wheel of Cotswold before moving on to making another type.

I am mostly thinking of cheese making for personal use; I would love to make enough for me to eat and then some to give as gifts, but we'll see over the course of the next few months how well that goes. It would be interesting to make cheese to sell, but I'm already pretty invested in this chemistry degree, I should probably work in my field for a while to at least pay off my loans and do some cool research. :P

But that's all I can think to write about. I hope to learn a lot from this community. Please take care of me while I'm here!
@justifiedgaines

Kern

Re: Hello from Atlanta Georgia
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 11:58:31 PM »
Welcome to the Forum.  There are several of us with chemistry or engineering degrees that make cheese and hang out here.  I have a degree in Chemical Engineering, myself.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:36:51 AM »
Hi Theresa. Welcome to the forum.
I'll be interested to hear how your Cotswold turns out. It's not a cheese I've had but Double Gloucester (Cotswold without the onions and chives) is a favourite.
- Andrew

Offline gathwaegl

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 07:01:13 PM »
Thanks!

I hope to get some pictures up soon.

My computer crashed a week and a half ago so I lost most of my recent pictures, but I do have some that I posted on social media floating in the ether. I am purchasing a new computer within the next week or so, so I shall post my cheese pictures then!
@justifiedgaines

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 09:42:31 PM »
Boone Creek Creamery will be at the Sandy Springs Artsapalooza in Atlanta this weekend. Stop in and sample some of our cheeses.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 01:20:50 PM »
Welcome from Washington State. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:23 PM »
Redundancy is one qwerk I don't have except when it comes to computers, for some reason we have 8 and all of them have the cheese forum on them ;)
OH, welcome to the forum and have some fun. ^-^
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/