Author Topic: Parmesan - 1st attempt  (Read 6506 times)

ksk2175

Parmesan - 1st attempt
« on: April 10, 2016, 03:03:12 AM »
I decided to try Parmesan today.  I figured I better get one in and aging.  After reading recipes, some articles on the forums, and watching Gavin's video, I decided on Jim's recipe on NEC.  I used 3 gal of 2% p/h milk.  I used the DS -C201 culture blend.  I added lipase.  I will post my recipe and make notes later. 

Jims recipe only presses for 4 hours then leaves the wheel unwrapped but in the mold overnight then in a box for a couple days before brining.  Most the other recipes I saw say to press for about 12 hours then brine.  Any suggestions here?  I am leaning towards following Jims lead.  It has been in the press for about 4 hours now and has knitted well.  I will put it in the mold, unwrapped and leave overnight.

One problem I had is size.  I only have a 7" tomme mold or a 5" cylinder mold.  I used the tomme mold and only got about a 1.5" high wheel out of it.  Will this effect anything with the development of the cheese?  I was worried my follower didn't go down the tapered edges low enough to press well enough but I came up with a 7" follower and fixed that problem.  I will follow up later.  I will be watching the PH and not brining until 5.3 or 5.4.

AnnDee

Re: Parmesan - 1st attempt
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 03:11:36 AM »
I used my tomme mould for 4.5 gallons of milk, it fits nicely. I don't think you need to press it with much weight. I used Caldwell's pressing guidance, 6-12 hours with heaviest weight used for the batch.

ksk2175

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 02:24:53 PM »
After sitting in the form overnight, PH is 5.4.

Jim"s recipe now calls for it to sit in a box for 2 days before brining to let the cultures do their thing. I am worried about this for a couple of reasons. Let me know your thoughts ...

I am worried the rind may close up too much and not let the brine do its job.

I am worried, because of its size, it may dry out too much even though I can get the RH up in the 90s in my box. The thin size has me questioning.

Also worried about the PH dropping. It is now at 5.4. Will it continue to drop over the next couple days if I don't get it into a 55f brine soon?

The wheel already has this powdery surface to it even though it is still pliable.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 03:07:55 PM by ksk2175 »

ksk2175

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2016, 02:38:57 PM »
Also wondering about brine times and how I may need to alter it due to its size. It weighs in at 2lbs 7oz and is 1.5" x 7".

At 4 hrs a lb, that's about 10 hours. There seems to be conflicting info out there when it comes to brining times.

AnnDee

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
I followed Gianaclis Caldwell recipe to make my parms, mainly because I found it to be simpler than the other's. On her recipe, the cheese went into brine right after pressing, after it reach desired PH, 4 hours/lbs or 12  hours/kg. I think if the PH is right, you should brine it.
Regarding brining time correlation with dimention: Check out this link here.

ksk2175

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2016, 05:51:18 PM »
Thanks Ann! I went ahead and put it in the brine. Thanks for that link to the brining adjustments.  I will go with 3.5 hrs per my 2.48 lbs ... Round it up to 9 hrs flipping once and see how she turns out.

In my Caldwell book, she recommends 12 hrs per pound for her 4gal make. That is quite a difference. Is that a type-o? Did you follow her brining times and if so, how did it turn out?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 06:23:04 PM by ksk2175 »

AnnDee

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2016, 06:33:34 PM »
Actually, I think there is a slight error/typo on that part in her book. She mention: 12 hours/pounds or 6 hours per kilo. That can't be right because in 1 kg there are 2.2 lbs. So I assume she meant 6 hours per pound or 12 hours per kg.

That said, I read about what Peter Dickson said regarding the preference of brining time, apparently European prefers saltier cheese than American. So I brine my long aging cheese 12 hours per kg and shorter aging ones 4 hours/lbs. Diplomatic choice, right?

ksk2175

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 04:35:24 AM »
Out of the brine, dried and ready to air dry a little more before I seal it up ...

ksk2175

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 04:41:46 PM »
I hope this one turns out.  I will definitely increase the size of the make next time.  What I really liked about this make is it was relatively quick getting the curds to the press.  It seemed a lot faster than most other makes.  I started at 2pm and had curds in the press at 5pm.  Technically this means that I could probably get two makes in on a weekend.  That would be a first for me.  I could get a make done on Saturday and in the press overnight and get a Parm in on Sunday.  I am sure there are other types that will allow me to do this also (other than fresh cheeses and Mozz) but I haven't attempted getting two makes in on a weekend yet.  I think I am going to make a new Parm every few months to keep them aging out. 

Kern

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 06:12:01 PM »
Out of the brine, dried and ready to air dry a little more before I seal it up ...

I'd get it in the cave (55F, 85RH) as soon as it is dry to the touch and keep it there for a week or two before sealing it up.  It will evaporate a fair amount of moisture during this time as the salt permeates the cheese and things come to equilibrium.  You can wipe the rind with salt/vinegar wash if mold starts to develop.  Vacuum bag it if you can so that you can see any problems if they develop.  AC4U.   :D

ksk2175

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2016, 07:14:03 PM »
Thanks for the advice Kern and the cheese.  After the brine, I pat it dry and put it in a ripening box, then into my 55f cave right away.  Lid propped ... trying to get the 85% RH is a bit of trial and error.  Closed I can get that box to 95% but down to 85% may take the right amount of "propping" of that lid.  Ive read about people using a humidity sink such as a salt slurry at the bottom of the box.  Havent played with that yet.  I will vac seal it when I think it is dry enough and keep an eye on it.

Kern

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2016, 09:20:24 PM »
Saturated potassium chloride supports 85% RH, sodium chloride 75%.  There was some information on this here (about halfway down and on the next page).

ksk2175

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2016, 10:40:16 PM »
Where would one obtain potassium chloride?  Isn't that a health supplement or are there other uses for it?

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2016, 11:50:55 PM »
e-bay

ksk2175

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2016, 12:02:53 AM »
E-bay - roger that.

2lb $15   ;)