Author Topic: Attempting Fourme d'Ambert #4  (Read 4431 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Attempting Fourme d'Ambert #4
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 03:25:18 PM »
It seemed like an okay time to cut into this cheese. The rind is pliable and gives to light pressure. Friday marks the sixth week.

Cutting into the cheese across the cylinder as per the style, I quickly surmised that the knife was not the most effective tool to use. The cheese paste was creamy and stuck to the knife, causing it to pull against the blade. I found my little-used cheese wire and did a better sectioning job.

The rind was of a tougher, more leather-like texture than other soft cheeses. This is because of the brined rind.  :)

The blue development was minimal. I would like to grow the blue a little more but don't know how to grow it when the paste is soft and creamy. Then again, I don't want it too over-developed...so I guess what I have is just fine. ;)

I have sectioned the cheese, wrapped each wedge in plastic wrap and then vacuum-sealed each wrapped wedge. The cheese wedges are then moved to the big, colder fridge to finish development. This wrapping/sealing has worked for me in the past and I take guidance from the cheese purveyors who do this. If I wrapped the wedges in cheese paper, the blue would continue to develop. It's development is curbed with the vacuum-sealing. Why wrap the wedge in plastic wrap before vacuum-sealing? It helps to contain the cheese in the vacuum bag so you can remove it from the bag cleanly and then sample it.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 02:28:24 PM »
How did it taste? (I wasn't sure if "blue development was minimal" was referring to taste or to appearance, but either way, curious to hear more about the taste.)

Interesting that you cut the bottom (or top) off before sectioning -- in the pictures, it looks like you just cut about an inch off the top, not cutting it in half. Is that correct?

In any case, it is still a purty cheese!
-- Andy

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 03:12:50 PM »
My-o-my :P it looks fantastic
AC4U
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 06:31:35 AM »
How did it taste? (I wasn't sure if "blue development was minimal" was referring to taste or to appearance, but either way, curious to hear more about the taste.)

Interesting that you cut the bottom (or top) off before sectioning -- in the pictures, it looks like you just cut about an inch off the top, not cutting it in half. Is that correct?

In any case, it is still a purty cheese!
When I started to cut this cheese, the rind was a little leathery tough for a wire going through the top down. It seemed reasonable to trim the top so that I could section it easier.

This cheese style typically has a less challenging blue character. Some blues are really strong...this isn't one of them. I prefer when it has blue character that doesn't try to bite the end of your tongue off. :P

Nice creamy cheese with a blue accent.

Thanks for the cheese H-K-J! Your blues have approached legendary status. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 03:02:44 PM »
That's one beautiful cheese Boofer!!  AC4U for your excellent delving into the unexplored cheeses!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 10:17:26 PM »
Thanks for the cheese, Al. Nice little cheese. :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!