Author Topic: Bulkhead fitting for sensor wires and humidifier power  (Read 1098 times)

Duntov

Bulkhead fitting for sensor wires and humidifier power
« on: April 15, 2016, 08:49:08 PM »
I recently finished my new mini cave and didn't like running the sensor wire and humidifier power cord thru the door seal for obvious reasons.  I came across a neat marine bulkhead fitting that sorted things out nicely.  It is made by CeaCap and isn't all that expensive.  They come either white or black.  I used a hole saw by drilling from the inside to cut the plastic liner and insulation which also gave me a pilot hole to use my chassis punch for the outer metal shell that gives a nice round hole without deforming the metal.  A hole saw could be used to drill all the way however.  I am sure there are other solutions but this is the way I did it.  Here are a few pictures.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:51:12 AM by Duntov »

Kern

Re: Bulkhead fitting for sensor wires and humidifier power
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 10:48:07 PM »
Nice job.  I've give you a cheese (thumbs up) for your post and photos.   :D

Newer refrigerators/freezer have the condensers in the side walls and sometimes the top.  You. Must. Not. Drill. Into. These.   You can locate the condensers by feeling the outer walls after you have turned your unit on and let it run awhile.  Hint:  since these are the units that dissipate the heat of compression they will be quite warm.  Once you locate the condensers you can mark a tentative spot for the hole.  Punch through the liner with the bit from the hole saw and then hand turn the bit until you hit the back wall.  Look for resistance and make sure the only thing coming out the hole are the insulation crumbs.  Attach the hole saw and put a hole just through the liner.  Remove the liner plug and the hand turn the hole saw through the insulation a half-inch at a time chipping the insulation out with a screwdriver.  You are looking for control wires.  If you are "clean" down to the back wall you can punch the drill bit through the back wall and then saw the hole from the outside with the hole saw. 

Doing it cautiously like this prevents turning a perfectly good refrigerator into the box for your new smokehouse.   :P

Duntov

Re: Bulkhead fitting for sensor wires and humidifier power
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 07:57:28 AM »
I didn't mean this as a 'how to', but Kern is spot on using extreme caution as to where you drill the hole!