Author Topic: Gloucester 4  (Read 4072 times)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Gloucester 4
« on: April 17, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »
Double Gloucester 4 has just come out of the mould. (Do we consider that to be the moment of birth?)
The details of the make were substantially the same as for number 3.
Because I've done these before, I wasn't going to bother with pictures of this one but the curds turned out so nicely that I just had to. So here they are.
- Andrew

AnnDee

Re: Gloucester 4
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 11:06:47 AM »
Wonderful looking cheese, Andrew. I will have to save your recipe for later use.
A cheese for the birthday of your cheese.

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 12:02:01 PM »
Thanks for the cheese, Ann.
The recipe comes from Tim Smith's book "Making Artisan Cheese".
I waxed it yesterday. I'm not sure when I will open it but I am expecting to let it age for some months.
- Andrew

AnnDee

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 12:35:09 PM »
I don't have that book, is the recipe exactly like your Gloucester 3?

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 08:35:48 AM »
Yes, the recipe is basically the same. The one in the book is for a Cotswold which is a Double Gloucester with onions and chives added. I have included one or two details in the recipe, such as the flocculation multiplier, which you won't find in the book.
It's not actually a book I use much any more, although there is nothing wrong with the recipes. I only mentioned it to give credit where it's due.
- Andrew

Offline OzzieCheese

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 171
  • Sun-Grass-Cow-Milk-Cheese-Happiness
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 10:11:13 PM »
Hey Andrew, that looks wonderful :)

AC4U

-- Mal
Usually if one person asks a question then 10 are waiting for the answer - Please ask !

wattlebloke

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:48:06 AM »
And I've bookmarked this page for later reference, and the cheese on my too-do list :) Great photos! AC4U!

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:54:08 AM »
Thanks for the cheeses and the kind comments.
This recipe is a bit of a favourite.
- Andrew

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 05:10:32 PM »
Never made a Gloucester, what would be a traditional aging finish for this? Wax? Natural? Bandage?

Thanks in advance :)

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2016, 08:31:53 AM »
what would be a traditional aging finish for this? Wax? Natural? Bandage?

That is one I didn't know and I would have guessed bandaged. A quick search though turned up this site which
tells us that it traditionally a natural rind cheese.
Personally, I wax mine but that is because I have not yet resolved my humidity problems and I don't want it to dry out too much.
The other possible answer, given that this is the cheese that is used for cheese-rolling, is the the traditional finish is grass.
- Andrew

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 03:45:19 PM »
Lol...grass! ... I've seen the videos... It's something different, that's for sure.
Thanks for the insight.

jwalker

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »
A cheese to you for a cheese well done !

I've been using PVA on just about every cheese I do now , at least the ones that need some kind of coating.

Ive had bad luck with cheese wax getting mold under it , and even worse luck with vacuum bagging , the PVA seems to move with the cheese and still breathe a bit.

Good one !

AnnDee

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 07:16:44 AM »
Andrew, on your Gloucester 3 recipe, there is a reference to psi on the pressing stage.
How do you calculate how much weight to use? I don't know this psi thing, I wasn't paying attention during my science classes.

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
Ive had bad luck with cheese wax getting mold under it , and even worse luck with vacuum bagging , the PVA seems to move with the cheese and still breathe a bit.
That is bad luck. I routinely wax my hard cheeses at some stage of their development to reduce drying out and I have not had problems with mould. I always hot wax and I am wondering if you did the same or if you brushed the wax on.
I vacuum bag quarters of cheese once I have cut them.
I am considering PVA but I hope to have humidity control sorted out fairly soon.
How do you calculate how much weight to use? I don't know this psi thing
PSI is pressure in pounds per square inch. (As a big fan of the metric system it is not my preferred unit but seems to be fairly ubiquitous.)
The thing is that if you give weights in pounds or kilograms it begs the question: what size mould are you using?
The same weight with different moulds will give different pressures so giving the pressure in PSI is more transferable.
To calculate the weight you need to calculate the cross-sectional area of your mould (in square inches) and multiply that by the pressure in PSI.
With the 6 1/4" (160mm) mould I used, area = 30.7 square inches. This gives the following approximate weights:
0.12 PSI is 4 lb.
0.37 PSI is 12 lb.
1.2 PSI is 36 lb.
1.5 PSI is 48 lb.
Actually, I don't worry about being too precise with weights. I like Gianaclis Caldwell's approach. She does not give weights for her recipes but takes the approach that the right amount of weight is the amount that does the job. The main things seem to be:
 - Don't use too much weight, particularly early in the press. What you are looking for here is that you are only getting an oozing of the whey rather than a flow and that the whey is not too white in colour.
 - You end up using enough weight , for long enough, to get a good knit.
So the general idea is, start off light and keep an eye on what is happening. Increase the weight until you get that good knit.

- Andrew

AnnDee

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »
Thank you for your explaination Andrew.
You have answered my curiosity, to be quite honest I have only become familiar with 'PSI' unit from watching mythbusters (they like to put things under a lot of pressure and blow it up) and here.
I agree with you on using as much weight as needed, that is what I have been doing until recent incident with a cantal that got me puzzled (more that 75 kgs and still no knit).
I am planning to make gloucester this weekend, will report the make separately afterwards.