Author Topic: Sourdough bread with recipe  (Read 2228 times)

john H

Sourdough bread with recipe
« on: April 18, 2016, 10:31:10 PM »
As requested here is the artisan sourdough bread recipe I use. I have combined this recipe with the Ken Forkish no need process found here. There are 11 videos ranging only a couple of minutes each.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0owQi_U44c&index=1&list=PLWqTac5vy0cfmXcQgnMAZl6z69kpmUzBI

Or this lady shows the whole process in this video. Sorry about friendly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-YXBP3HQZY

The real key here is the Dutch oven make sure to preheat in the oven. The Dutch oven works to trap the steam for a great crunchy crust.

Most artisan bread recipes say to bake @ 475 for 30 minutes take the lid off and bake for another 10 to 15. I find with the molasses that  temperature is to high. I start off at 475 preheat then turn the dough into the preheated Dutch oven put the lid on close the door wait for the oven temperature to get back up to 475. I then lower the temperature to 440 for the remainder of the bake. 

Ingredients  (this recipe makes 2 loaves of bread)

•Water: 800 grams at 90 to 95 degrees

•Sourdough Starter: 170 grams (omit if making the instant yeast version)

•Instant Yeast: 2 tsp. (omit if making sourdough leavened version) this version really highlights the seed flavours but love both.

•Rye Flour: 500 grams light or dark

•Bread hard Flour: 500 grams

•Molasses: 90 grams

•Fennel Seed: 16 grams, 2 Tbs.

•Anise Seed: 4 grams, 2 tsp.

•Caraway Seed: 6 grams,  2 tsp.

•Salt: 20 grams
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 10:39:30 PM by john H »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Sourdough bread with recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 01:36:26 PM »
Looks great John.  I usually put a bowl of water in the oven with my breads to get the crust.  Get a most of my recipes from Peter Reinhart's books.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

john H

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 08:24:10 PM »
Thanks Al. I see Peter has some You tube videos as well I will have to watch some. There are different techniques for introducing steam one friend uses a spray mister bottle and another has a roasting pan with stones in it and is preheated with the oven and he pours hot water over them when putting the bread in the oven.   

wattlebloke

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 12:01:18 AM »
I used (really quite acid) whey from the weekend's cheese adventures (camembert, using FD) in yesterday's sourdough loaf, both for the overnight sponge, and the remainder of the hydration. The result was phenominal in both taste and chewiness.

john H

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 12:10:20 AM »
That is an interesting idea wattlebloke I will have to give it a go next time.

John

olikli

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 10:35:09 AM »
That looks great. Have a cheese for your bread. :)

john H

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
Thanks for the cheese olikli