Author Topic: caciotta #2  (Read 1821 times)

tashad

caciotta #2
« on: April 19, 2016, 03:47:24 AM »
I lived that first one so much, I had to give it another go once my smaller molds arrived. I used Jim Wallace's recipe from cheesemaking.com, using 4L of cream line milk and 4L of P/H from the same dairy. I would have used all cream line, but the store only had 4L. I'm still mostly too busy getting the hang of making cheese to remember to take pictures along the way, so my pics are the curds just before draining, and fresh out of the brine. I thought the molds would hold a little more than they did, so I'm glad I bought 3, and now I'm thinking that they're the perfect size for trying the cheese at different ages, and I kind of like the texture on the sides. :)

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
Re: caciotta #2
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 10:05:24 AM »
Looking good so far.
I've used this recipe twice and been very pleased with the results.
- Andrew

tashad

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 05:15:02 AM »
Am I doing something wrong with this? I know that the recipe states that the high moisture content makes for prime conditions for mold, and to wipe it down with 6-8% brine daily to remove the mold, and I have done that but the mold seems to increase every day anyway. Does this look okay/normal? It's almost 2 weeks in. Some time in the near future, I'm going to cut into one of them and see how it tastes (unless someone more experienced says I shouldn't, lol). Like the last one, it has that stinky cheese smell.

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2016, 09:50:07 AM »
It must be good. 20 million mould spores can't be wrong.
You could try a stronger brine and/or a little vinegar to knock the mould out.
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2016, 03:02:27 PM »
As I understand it, wiping it down with a low-concentration-brine is how you encourage B. Linens to set up residence (giving the classic "old-sock stinky cheese" smell). I think the ideal for B. Linens is around 3%-5% (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), so your concentration is not quite in the target range, but the smell you describe suggests that you may be getting some. On the other hand, those spots don't look like B. Linens to me.

I have never made a Cacciotta, so I'm not sure if this is a cheese where you are wanting to get some B. Linens -- ?? If you are wanting to discourage ANY mold / B. Linens / etc., then as Andrew says you might switch to vinegar, or even vinegar + salt (the salt crystals provide a bit of a scrubbing action). Another option is to use white wine. And above all, don't leave any moisture on the surface of the cheese! (Daily wiping with brine may be doing more to encourage than discourage the mold by keeping things damp.) Perhaps you could lower the humidity in the cave for a few days to help discourage the mold?
-- Andy

tashad

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2016, 05:38:12 PM »
The spots don't look like b. linens to me either (based on what I've been able to glean from the internet).  There are some larger patches of faint orangey yellow that don't show in the picture, I'm assuming that's the b. linens starting up.  I've always been a wimp about stinky cheeses so wouldn't have thought that I'd be okay with that, but the last one was delicious in spite of the smell so I've been considering this cheese as my 'gateway' cheese.

Am I correct in thinking that if I don't mind b. linens, then I can use wine, and if I want to discourage both mold and linens I should use vinegar?  I have already tried using a stronger brine, and scrubbing with salt.  Neither one was very effective for removing the spots, and the mold seemed to have spread farther by the next day (I assume because I didn't get it all off).  This morning I used white wine and gave them a gentle, but thorough scrubbing with a brush.  They certainly look a lot better now.  I'll see how they look later on.

As an extra precaution they're in a fresh container, with fresh mats, in the wine cooler.  I've also put a stainless rack under the mats so as to create a larger gap between the lid and the container (the container is upside down, with the cheeses sitting on the lid) to increase air flow and lower the humidity a bit.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2016, 07:39:47 PM »
I'd say you're on the right track. If you can get to where you don't need to keep washing it (with wine, vinegar, or brine), I think your B. Linens will stabilize. And of course, if wax or vacuum bagging is an option, that too will stop the progression. (Just make sure the rind is thoroughly dry if you go that route.)
-- Andy

tashad

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »
It seems to have worked. :D  No more mold growth since the first wine wash.  I might try waxing one of these, I'd like to see how it tastes after longer aging.  The others will have to be eaten soon.  I'm eager to have some, and my mom emailed me the other day letting me know that she's eaten all of the last one and needs more.