Author Topic: Another fresh milk delivery !  (Read 2094 times)

jwalker

Another fresh milk delivery !
« on: April 22, 2016, 04:11:50 PM »
And it just gets better , now with the cows outside more and grazing on fresh grass and clover , the taste is much more intense and interesting than what I have been getting earlier this year.

Now I get to see the difference first hand , and can taste what I've been reading about all these years !

I get six gallons every week or so , I keep one gallon for drinking , and use five or so for cheese.

I just made another batch of cheese curds , as my milk delivery guy wanted something that he could eat right away , I've also taken to using them in place of Mozzarella for my pizzas , which we do once a week since building the wood fired pizza oven.

I use a very simple recipe from Carrolls website , using a thermophyllic culture , it works very well and I get a good volume of curds , about five pounds to five gallons of milk , and fairly solid curds at that.

They melt extremely well and have very good flavor.

I was going to make Gouda but didn't have time yesterday , so curds and pizza it is !

john H

Re: Another fresh milk delivery !
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:51:54 PM »
I am jealous of your milk delivery J. :P I am also looking forward to seeing / tasting the difference in the summer milk.

John