Author Topic: cheese odor  (Read 1564 times)

Sedona

cheese odor
« on: June 03, 2009, 11:51:14 PM »
I have a question. How a cheese supposed to smell when is air drying for 3 days or so until is dry to touch?  A cheesy odor?   lol
I have the caraway cheddar on a bamboo mat and turn twice a day, i laid a loose cotton cloth on top (cloth don't touch cheese). When i lift the cloth the odor, huhhhh. I'm wondering if that is normal? 
Thanks, Sedona

wharris

Re: cheese odor
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2009, 12:41:55 AM »
Is it a pleasant odor?  My cheddar smells like mild cheddar or colby.

There is no unpleasant odor to my cheese.  (my aging parm might be the exception.)

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:58 AM »
Hmm, every situation varies but it shouldn't smell bad, but there are some smells that take getting used to in cheese making that smell bad at frist but you know they are correct. A bad smell is just that a bad smell. I wouldn't worry about it at this stage.

Sedona

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 02:00:15 AM »
Well i don't really know how to describe the odor, it is strong when i first lift the cloth, maybe like a limburger i know from germany.
I did pitched already one batch because of the smell,  maybe i shouldn't done that. I guess i have to learn how the cheeses smell while air drying.
I also made a monterey jack and added heavy cream, i assume it takes longer to dry until i wax it.
Thanks
Sedona

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:07 AM »
Hmmm, Limburger, did you have any limburger around before. That bacteria gets everywhere. If it's limburger smell it might have caught that bacteria, which isn't bad, but you want to make sure it's that before eating it.