Author Topic: Trying New Mold Size For My Stiltons  (Read 7638 times)

Duntov

Re: Trying New Mold Size For My Stiltons
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2016, 08:53:12 PM »
So a 5 gallon make would be perfect in this mold?

I wouldn't say 5 gallons would be perfect for the aspect ratio of the final cheese but the mold may hold that much depending on the yield of the milk.  I was pushing the limit of my 20 qt. pot and nearly strained my back lifting it out of the double boiler trying not to spill a drop.  I am thinking of going 3-1/2 gallons of milk and 2 pints of cream on my next batch.  That should be a better proportion cheese and be more manageable based on my equipment.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 10:33:30 PM by Duntov »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2016, 02:10:17 AM »
Typically I add 1 pint of heavy cream for each two gallons of whole milk for my makes.  I could use two 3 gallon pots though.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Kern

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2016, 04:07:21 AM »
I was pushing the limit of my 20 qt. pot and nearly strained my back lifting it out of the double boiler trying not to spin a drop.  I am thinking of going 3-1/2 gallons of milk and 2 quarts of cream on my next batch.  That should bet a better proportion cheese and be more manageable based on my equipment.

You might want to consider siphoning off some of the whey prior to lifting a pot containing curds and whey.  You'll need a hose and some type of screen to keep from sucking out curds along with the whey.  A large sieve will work as the screen.

Duntov

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2016, 02:47:35 PM »
Typically I add 1 pint of heavy cream for each two gallons of whole milk for my makes.  I could use two 3 gallon pots though.

My mistake.  I meant 2 pints not quarts.  Darn old age!

Duntov

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2016, 03:34:35 AM »
Time for an update.  I decided to pierce the cheese a few days short of four weeks because of the busy holiday.  I alternated rows piercing up and down angles stopping just short of center.  I noticed it felt really creamy on the inside.  The cheese now weighs 3 lbs. 15 oz.  I finally purchased a small trier and will check it in another three weeks.  I don't think I am going to pierce it again.  Btw, I let the cheese come to room temperature before piercing.  This avoids any possibility of cracking the mass.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:33:57 PM by Duntov »

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2016, 03:22:12 PM »
Typically Stilton is a somewhat creamy cheese in texture.  Maytags and Gorgonzolas are crumbly.  Your cheese looks incredible!  A cheese for your efforts!! ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Beans

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2016, 12:42:21 AM »
You have inspired me to try a tall mold again.  I gave it a go once before and the curd kept separating during the flip.  Did you have that problem at all? 

Duntov

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2016, 12:36:31 PM »
You have inspired me to try a tall mold again.  I gave it a go once before and the curd kept separating during the flip.  Did you have that problem at all?

I didn't have any problems at all.  The curds were quickly hung to drain.  Waiting too long to do this would cook the curds and make them dry I would think.  Also, I hung to drain for only four hours.  The curds were still quite soft and knitted well.

Typically Stilton is a somewhat creamy cheese in texture.  Maytags and Gorgonzolas are crumbly.  Your cheese looks incredible!  A cheese for your efforts!! ;D

Thank you sir!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:55:29 AM by Duntov »

Frodage3

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2016, 02:52:57 PM »
Btw, I let the cheese come to room temperature before piercing.  This avoids any possibility of cracking the mass.
Excellent tip! I will use it too.

Duntov

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2016, 08:16:55 AM »
Time for a sad update.  The cheese failed but had nothing to do with the mold.  I had severe cave problems that I think was the cause.  The blue didn't develop properly and turned a grey tan color.  The texture started out creamy in the mouth followed by a dry chalky feel.  Taste was bitter.  I will try a new batch now that I have the cave under control.  Is there a button to take away cheeses?  lol

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2016, 03:47:58 PM »
Hey John... too bad man...bummer.. looked sooo good!.. what happened? cave get too warm on you? anything we can learn from?

your next one will be stellar, for sure... try again, bud.

Duntov

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2016, 05:52:54 PM »
Hey John... too bad man...bummer.. looked sooo good!.. what happened? cave get too warm on you? anything we can learn from?

your next one will be stellar, for sure... try again, bud.

Actually I think there were multiple problems that created the 'perfect cheese storm'.  My cage became very wet due to condensation that stayed on the rind.  The nice gray/white/orange mold went dark brown.  Then... (don't laugh)..... in my rush to get the cave cleaned out and reorganized, I left the Stilton sitting on a shelf outside the cave overnight in 90 degree plus temps.  OMG am I stupid or what?  Also, looking back at the recipe I borrowed I noticed the amount of Calcium Chloride seems quite a bit at 1 Tablespoon which I would think would lead to bitterness. 

I started a new Stilton today with a new recipe that includes only using 1 teaspoon CC and the use of Mesophile Type ll and liquid PRB6.  Also, I invested in a PH meter.  I am letting the cultures mature until the PH reaches  6.4 which is the target used by some artisan blue makers.  I am at 3.5 hours now and the PH has dropped to 6.45.  At four hours I should be there which is quite interesting as the Stilton Facility video I watched said they wait three hours before adding the rennet.  I will also be draining and flipping the mass in a much cooler environment so NO mold grows on the outside prior to rubbing up.

It is a wait and see game now.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 04:15:17 AM by Duntov »

Frodage3

« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2016, 02:32:28 AM »
Hi John,
I gave you an extra cheese for trying! It's all about the experimenting, recognising what you've done, and how that's different from what you intended. The fact that you bought a pH meter to compensate really puts me in awe - you are a trooper! Keep it up and I look forward to the next attempt.

Offline Fritz

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 15
  • So many cheeses.... So little time...
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2016, 05:04:14 AM »
Thanks for sharing ... We all become better caseiculture masters by learning from our failures. Today, you are a better Cheesemaker  :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2016, 08:15:54 PM »
Is there a button to take away cheeses?  lol
Why yes, there is! Proudly display your failures missed opportunities here. :D

Sorry for your loss. :'(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.